Energy Connoisseur or Klipsch Reference or Dahlquist

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David*Ryu, Dec 18, 2002.

1. David*Ryu

David*Ryu Auditioning

I am trying to decide on a new speaker configuration. All three of these have been rated highly on the web, but I am not sure which to pick. I cannot find a dealer that sells the Dahlquist nearby so I cannot compare the sound. Though the pricing is very nice! I like the sound of the Klipsch speakers, but I am afraid about the volume level being too high - with an 18 month old which I don't want to wake (The dealer turned them up loud for testing and the reviews I read said it doesn't play softly well). I am going to try to listen to the Energys this weekend while visiting relatives. I likely will only be getting fronts, center and a sub right away and the surrounds later. Any advice?

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

If you have a Yamaha Receiver/amp, don't go with the Klipsch Reference speakers. I have a Yammy receiver in the living room system and the Klipsch speakers sound really harsh with this amp, but WONDERFUL with my other amp which is a Technics DA-10. I can't say enough good things about the Klipsch Reference speakers, they are just a pleasure to listen too, and I do so at every chance I get.

3. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I have Klipsch Reference powered by an Onkyo TX DS 797. I have both the RF-7's and the RF-3's. If you are considering the Klipsch then perhaps the RF-3's would be a better choice as the 7's do take more power. In some ways I actually like the 3's better than the 7's.

4. Philip A

Philip A Agent

I have Dahlquists (QX10's & QX60c--front & M&K sub) powered by a Yamaha RX 1200 (and QX6's & QX4--back; 6.1).
    I have listened extensively to Klipsch (local retailer and 3 different family members with them) and find them initially impressive, but eventually tiresome. Comments about them not playing "soft" are right on. When they play loud, they fatigue after not too long. Horns as tweeters are for gymnasiums, not home a/v IMHO.
    Anyway, I have not heard the Energy's, but have heard positive things about them.
    If you aren't already in the know about Marc H. at the Audio Shop, I suggest you contact him via email (he'll even call you back on his dime) to ask him about the Dahlquists in comparison with other speakers (Axiom, Totem, etc. in his showroom). He also sells Energy, forgot that...
    http://www.audioshop.on.ca/
    Best of luck,
    Phil
    --oh yeah, I love the Dahlquists. Very nice on the ears at any volume. Pretty amazing when your wife says, "Honey, those sound very nice, I'm glad you bought them"!!!

5. David*Ryu

David*Ryu Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback. I have talked with Mark about the Dahlquists and I do agree he is extremely helpful. I am still going to a location where I can listen to the two other speakers side-by-side before deciding. What receivers do you recommend for the Klipsch? I may have to include that as part of the cost of this upgrade... The ones I listened to was hooked to a Denon and it sounded nice.