Energy Connoisseur C1 or C3 for Mains?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Won, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Steve Won

Steve Won Auditioning

I've been lurking here for a while asking the odd question but have now gone out to make a purchase. I bought,

Denon 3802
    4 x Energy Connoisseur C1
    Energy C-C1 Center
    Energy S10.2 Sub

This is going into a room that's about 16x15.

I haven't taken delivery of these yet and have thought about replacing the C1's with C3's for the mains. Any opinions on whether or not this is a good idea? Would it be better to keep the size of the woofers the same all the way around?

Just a thought I had in my head and wanted to bounce it around in here rather than asking a sales guy.

Thanks.

Steve.
    Can't wait to set this stuff up!

2. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    I'm considering that exact speaker set-up (as soon as I can save up for it[​IMG]).
    I say you are fine with the C-1. I think a lot of people will probably say it is better to have the same speakers all around for HT. Plus, your room is small enough that you don't need the extra bass the larger driver in the C-3 would give you, especially since you've got a sub. The biggest case would be made for the C-3s if you planned to do a lot of 2-channel listening w/o your sub.
    I have yet to hear the Connoisseurs. Have you listened to both? Did you notice any other differences in the quality of sound between the two other than the fact the C-3 can go down lower?
    Let us know how it sounds once you get everything set up!

3. Steve Won

Steve Won Auditioning

Juan,

Most of my use of this will be a HT application rather than 2 channel music. So I think you're right, the C1's all around should be OK. Actually I haven't heard the C3 as the dealer didn't have any in stock (sold them all apparently!). I'm not an audiophile by any stretch and all I can really say is that the C1's sounded very nice to me.

This is my first HT setup, so I think this will be a good start. If I start to get into more music, I think that I'd consider the C7 and move the front set of C1's to the side, but that's waaaay in the future.

Can't wait!

4. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

I have auditioned them with C3 in front and C1 in rear. i would say its ok, definitely better than the encore series, but I've listened to a lot better in the same price range ie. Totem Dreamcatchers, Axiom's M3, QS4 combo and even 2 pair of Paradigm reference 20's.

5. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

C-3's DEFINITELY better than C-1's. get them instead if you can.

I would personally go with a less pricey receiver and better speakers.

A C-7, C-1, C-C1 setup with 1803/2802 would sound a LOT better than C-1s all around, trust me, I have a lot of experience with these speakers and amps.

The S10.2 is a nice sub, but you could get better for the money elsewhere.

Don't forget to factor in the price of stands in your purchase, you will see that floorstanding speakers aren't that much more expensive.

Please chime back in before your purchase, send me an email as well as I rarely check in here anymore.

-Seb

6. Colin-K

Colin-K Agent

I personally would get the C-1's all the way around with the CC-1 center and an HSU VFT-2. With a plan to upgrade to the C-7's. But of course If you like the C-1 setup stick with it. BUT, I do agree that the C-3's will be better as mains. AND, my personal opinion is that the Connoisseur stands toe to toe with Totem Dreamcatchers and Axiom's. The Connoisseur's are great sounding speakers. Not too bright just right for myself.
    Hope that helps.[​IMG]

7. Steve Won

Steve Won Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I realize that the C3's will provide more range than the C1's, but the sub should compensate for that, no? The majority of this system will be used for HT, probably an 85 - 15 split HT/music. I'll give 2 channel stereo a try when listening to music, but suspect that I'll resort to utilizing all 5 speakers.

I was just wondering if the larger woofer of the C3 would over power the sound of the CC1 and C1's in rear? Or am I totally off base with this thinking?

I think this sub will do for now as well. I'll see how it holds up over time but this is my first system (likely not the last of changes) and I think it will do OK for my liking.

If there is a really compelling reason to switch the mains, I can still do that. Dealer hasn't called to say the goods are in yet.

Thanks for the info!

8. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    I really do not believe that the larger woofers would overpower your rears or center. What you would get is a fuller sound from the front soundstage. Yes, your sub will fill in the lower base, but what is the crossover settings with the reciever? If you get a chance, try to compare them at the shop that you are buying your stuff. You will notice a fuller sounding MID range, not just the lower end stuff. Try it and see what you think.

I would seriously try a different sub. Energy makes a GREAT sub, but it would take 2 to 3 of the subs to compare with an SVS 20-39. Not just the volume but the prensense of the sub.

Jeff Aguilar

9. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

exactly.

get a better subwoofer, not necessarily more expensive, but better, and do not skimp on the speakers just cuz you have a sub. it does not compensate. there is a fuller, more present quality to bigger speakers/towers that can't be matched by a sub/sat system IMO.