What's new

Energy Connoiseurs vs. Paradigm Monitors (1 Viewer)

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone compared Energy's Connoiseur line to Paradigms Monitor Series? I listened to the Monitor 11's the other dau and loved them. But then another dealer who I've done a lot of busines with told me that the new Connoiseurs sound much nicer (he carries Energy and Paradigm).

Trying to decide between a very good closeout deal on the Monitor 11 ($800) and C-370 ($289) vs. picking up some C-7's or C-9's that would match with my Energy AC-300 Center.

There are no reviews of the new Connoiseurs available online yet so any opinions would be appreciated.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just some comments about the Connoiseur series in general....I have the C1 in my 2-channel system right now. They're being powered by an Onkyo TX-8511 stereo receiver. Out of the box, they sounded quite good already; very wide soundstage and not bright at all, despite the metal tweeter. I only have the speakers on for about a hour for now, so I imagine they will get better with time. Just wanted to add that since the Connoiseur series shares the same tweeter throughout the line.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd take the energy con over the monitor. The energy sounds smooth and if you get the larger model there's plenty of clean bass.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Are the Monitors bi-wire/bi-ampable? I know that the cons are not. The Energies however do look nice and sound great. I find that both Paradigm and Energy make great speakers, but Paradigm seems to be far more affordable and possibly a better value. If you have the cash though Energy is a serious contender. Btw, are Paradigms/Energy priced similarly in the States? Here in Canada the equivalent Veritas is about double the price of the Studio series.

Unfortunately no one in my town sells both so I can't A/B test them. I'm also curious to see which sound better; Paradigm Studio series or Energy Veritas. That would be a nice shoot-out.

- Mike

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, I think that the Monitors are bi-wireable. I have not heard the Veritas-nobody around me seems to carry them! But they are a lot more expensive than the Studios are'nt they??

I wonder why Energy has so few dealers in the US? Or maybe that's only true of the region I live in?? That's it, I'm moving to Canada !!!

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Yes.. Monitor series/11 is a bi-wire/amp speaker. However, I don't think the CC/370 has those capabilities.

Nick V

Second Unit
You are correct Chas,

I believe that in the monitor series only the Towers are bi-amp/wireable. Although, now that I think of it, I'm not sure about the Monitor 3's and 5's??

Nick_Shah

Stunt Coordinator
I compared the Connoisseur bookshelves (C1 and C2, I believe), and the Paradigm Mini Monitors. I preferred the Mini Monitors, but not by very much. I only listened to CDs in stereo, I didn't listen to any multichannel applications.
Be warned that I went to two separate dealers to listen to these speakers, so there wasn't a direct comparison performed.
I decided to go with Axiom, but I likely would have leaned towards the Mini-Monitors, despite the fact that the Connoisseurs look beautiful.
I know these aren't the ones you're considering, but I thought I'd comment on my Connoisseur/Monitor experiences.
Good luck!
-Nick

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard the the Paradigms but I do own the Veritas. When I was getting the Veritas my dealer actually told me that I should serious look at getting the Connoiseurs instead. I did listen to the Connoiseur which sounded very good but I was already sold on wanting to own the Veritas. :D :D .
I agree with Andrew. The Connoiseur gets my vote.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks