What's new

Energy Connoiseur CC-3 , for 4 C-3s? or CC-1? Help! (1 Viewer)

Hi, im totally thrown off by the new release if the Connoiseur CC-3,
Im planning on setting up a 5.1 (6.1 capable) system with 4 C-3s, an S10.2 subwoofer and a center channel, (with possibly another C-3 as a surround back for 6.1)
(I know i can get a better sub, but the place i can get an S10.2 just barely meets my fund limitations for a sub $350 plus shipping lol)
So far I only have a pair of C-3's as mains and have not as yet bought anything else.
Are matching C-3 surrounds a good idea for music and home theater? I tend to believe that the surrounds should be equal to the mains if possible.

I have an approximately 12X13 (8foot tall ceiling) size room to put it all in, and i wonder if the CC-3 would be too big for my setup? would it be too big for 4 C-3s?

The Energy website states its for the floorstanders but i dont believe they had 4 C-3's in mind, lol

Any suggestions? is the CC-1 bad or anything? I heard the CC-3 might be a big step up and i would rather get a better product,
and if the CC-3 is any louder than the rest of the setup, couldnt i just lower the receiver output to the center? Thanks,

Sorry to be all over the place. I just have so many questions, i know you guys here know your stuff.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Many people advocate 5/6 identical speakers for a 5.1/6.1 set-up. I think the C-3's for surrounds would be a great set-up. Maybe buy another pair of C-3's and use one for your center channel and one for your rear center. If the CC-3 fits your layout in a more aesthetic manner, than go that route, it's drivers (and of course tweeter)match those of the C-3 bookshelves and should sound great. It won't be too much for your room IMO. This was one of the set-ups I looked at when speaker shopping.

Good Luck and happy listening.

Thanks for the comments. I dont think a C-3 would sit very well on top of my TV , lol or on the bottom. any more comments from anyone else? Im still in the dark ,

The drivers may match the C-3s, but then again, none of the C-3's have midrange tweeters like the CC-3s,

i dont know if that matters but who knows, i dont know what the benefit of midrange tweeters are over just using a tweeter and a woofer like the CC-1.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris, just dropped by the Energy web site to have a peek at the CC-3 and I must apologize for my "Same Tweeter" comment. I had assumed they would have made this center like their CC-1 but with the larger drivers. The way the CC-3 looks, it could be used for more than a center channel.

Perhaps just go for the CC-1, try it out, return it if you don't like it.

Cheers,

Steve

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Steve. The C3's are shielded. Buy another pair and stick one in the back and one on top of your TV. Flip it so that the tweeter is on the bottom and reverse the grille so nobody will know the difference.

The only reason I would recommend the 'real' centre speaker would be if you had a cabinet or something that wouldn't allow you to stand a speaker on top of your TV.

If you decide to go with a horizontal centre (don't do it man!) the CC1 would be plenty.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I auditioned the C-C1 a few months ago and was unimpressed (upgrading from a Paradigm CC-170). I bought an AC-300 instead, and it is an awesome match for my Energy C-5s. Despite the presence of the dual midrange drivers, the C-C3 should be a great match for your C-3s as well. My advice is audition the C-C1 for yourself, then the C-C3. OR, you could save some bucks by buying an AC-300 (they sell for $200-250ish on eBay).

I bought the AC-300 as an interim center until the C-C3 was released, but now I really don't have a big desire to upgrade. The AC-300 is a very solid speaker.

As for the rears, if you do a lot of 5-channel stereo listening, then the C-3s are a no-brainer. If not, then you might consider the C-1s. I own a pair and WOW, do they ever sound nice. Maybe save $$$ on surrounds by going with the C-1s and using the extra $$$$ to buy the C-C3?

Fun Fun Fun :D

Marc H

Second Unit
Energy is intending the CC3 as not only a centre channel speaker but for use as left/centre/right (and for surround channels should one choose) like they did with the AC300 and it's predecessor, the RVS.

Users who are viewing this thread