Energy C7 - Boomy Bass

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JohnBAIL, May 28, 2004.

1. JohnBAIL

JohnBAIL Extra

I have Energy C-7 fronts, matched with a Marantz SR-9300 receiver and Marantz DV-8400 player (being used for audio only, fed through a Bel Canto DAC2).

A couple of quick questions. Firstly, do you think the speakers are letting the system down? They are certainly not as expensive as the 50% or so of a system they are 'supposed' to be. They're actually the cheapest component.

Secondly, I'm finding that with bass-heavy music (some dance music etc) that the bass gets too boomy for my taste. I do, of necessity, have the speakers placed fairly close to the corners - they are currently two feet from the rear wall and only one foot from the side wall. The floor is timber but has a large rug on it. However, the walls are made from some sort of concrete (I live in South Korea) and could possibly be bouncing the bass around a bit.

Are the C-7s known to lose the bass a little? Should I get new speakers (I've had my eye on the Elac 207.2)? I'll be moving house in a few weeks, so should I wait and see how the current setup goes in the new place?

Thanks.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

How far are they away from the wall? If direct radiators are too close to any wall, they can sound boomy. Should try to give them 18 - 36" all around.

Do you have them crossed over to a sub?

3. JohnBAIL

JohnBAIL Extra

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not using a sub, and the speakers are perhaps located too close to the walls. I'll try moving them further out and see if that makes a difference (I know it will make a difference to my wife, and not a good one at that!)

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

As Kevin suggested, placement of speakers is the key. In any case, Energy speakers are very fine, and should not exhibit "boomy" bass...

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yes, I also really like Energy speakers.