Energy C3s?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Daman, May 28, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hi,
    I am trying to put together my second home theater(primary one) and have currently 2 Energy C1's. I am thinking of going in with C3's as mains, a C-C1 as center channel and use the existing C1's as surrounds and add one more C1 for the rear surround. What do you guys think about this? Does this look like a good combination? Regarding the sub i havent decided yet so am keeping the options open. And yes floor standings are not an option for me thats why i want a bookshelf system. If possible also do recommend a good reciever for this setup.. the C3's and C-C1 are rated at max 120 watts per channel while the C1's are 100 watts pc..
    Thanks for all your suggestions!
    Daman

2. Daman

Daman Second Unit

On another note, i currently have 2 recievers with me a yamaha htr 5640(75 watts pc) and a htr 5650(80 watts pc).. im using the 5650 to power the polk rm6700 setup i have.. once i complete the energy setup i was thinking of using 5650 to power that and the 5640 to power the polks.. do you think these recievers will do the speakers justice or should i upgrade to better recievers? Please advice !!!! I am counting on you guys to help me out [​IMG]

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Don't know about your receivers, but I did audition the C-3s. I nearly went with the setup you describe (C-3 up front, CC-1 centre and C-1 rear in 5.1) but my wife didn't like the C-3 sound. She considered the high frequencies too harsh. FWIW, I thought the speakers were fine. Unless you have a large room or are missing features that you "must" have, I think your receivers are fine for the job (IMO, of course).

Hope this helps.

4. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Thanks Paul, oh well im ok if they sounded a bit bright.. i havent auditioned them but am going by the fact that i really love the C1's and C3's would definetly be better than C1's. The room isnt too large and the recievers do have everything i need.. i was just asking in terms that i wouldnt be missing improving the sound quality a few notches if i use these recievers. Thanks a lot for your inputs again, it definetly helped [​IMG]
    Regards
    Daman

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had C-3's for a little while. Used them for surrounds. I liked them a lot. Didn't find them bright at all, just kind of revealing and detailed.

Here's a review. Measurements too, if you click on the "measurements" box.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c3.htm