What's new

Energy C-5 or B&W 603 S3 (1 Viewer)

VepeR

Auditioning
I have a dilema regarding which speakers should i buy. I live in Europe and prices in my country are quit different than the prices in the States.

A pair of Energy Connoisseur C-5 costs around 1000 $

A pair of B&W 603 S3 costs around 950$

In your opinion and regarding the prices in my country what would you buy? I plan to use this speakers in my surround system as fronts ( i will chose center and rears regarding to which fronts i will buy). The system will be used 50:50 for stereo and movies.

Thanks

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Well, I have no experiece with the Energys, so I can't offer a direct comparison.

I have the 603 S2s for mains in my 50/50 HT/Music setup. Those speakers have kept me smiling for over 2 years to date and I know they have more to offer. If I could tweak my room/placement alittle more and get a quality amp, I suspect they could perform even better.

I consider myself a fairly critical listener and I have compared my 603s to may others for both HT and Music. Some are better and some are worse. I have no delusions about my 603s being "The Best" out there. I do, however, think they are a great offering in that price range.

I guess my point is I see myself as being more limited by my room and $$$ than my main speakers at this point. I've never regretted my purchase.

Hope this helped,
--Steve

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I auditioned both the Energy Connoisseur and B&W 600 Series lines when I upgraded speakers a few years ago. I preferred the B&W's -- they were so smooth and easy to listen to. However, the Energy's would have been my second choice.

I would suggest listening to each speaker and deciding for yourself.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
remember the connoisseur line has been completely redesigned...
Scott, the speakers you listened to are not the same as the current connoisseur line!

-Seb

yung cheng

Grip
I audited both B&W 602s3 & 603s3 before and i think 602 sounds better than 603. I didn't audit C-5 so no comparision.

Adam_D

Stunt Coordinator
i didn't get to audition any B&W stuff when i went shopping for my new HT, but i did check out the energy stuff. i ended up going the energy c-7's, c-c1, and a pair of the c-r1's for my full 5.1 set up. personally i love these speakers and couldn't be happier. the sound is great!!
if you can, give the 7's a whirl and see what you think.

adam

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
C-5's & C-7's are great speakers but don't forget they are not full range. Unless you incorporate a subwoofer you will be missing a lot down low.

Rick CH

Agent
I auditioned both Energy and B&W and ended up with C7s, C-C1, C-R3s, and the S10.2 sub. I actually liked the B&W sound a bit better (livelier midrange) but got a much better deal on the Energy speakers, which I thought sounded great as well (laid-back but accurate and detailed).

Just a note on hooked on tronics. I bought my c5s from there. They have great deals. But they arn't "authorized" to sell Energy speakers cause their prices are so low, which means the warranty is void. but the store provides a 90 day warranty of their own. I personally think it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.