What's new

Energy 8.2 Subwoofer Problem (1 Viewer)

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
Yesterday, I was playing Blade II and during the final fight scene, the subwoofer started to make some weird rattling sound that it never use to. Any time the volume goes to higher than -35db the sub starts to rattle as if something came loss or broke.

Btw, its only 2 weeks old, and it had been broken in by playing a dead air FM station for 24 hours.

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Nick, I have the same sub. You cant push it really hard. I will bottom out and buzz/rattle if the volume is to high on it. Try turning the volume on the sub down a little and repeat the same scene on your DVD. Remember, its good sub, but its only a 8" driver.
Mike

Glenn Mcc

Grip
I have the same sub and I can't get the bass I want, how do you have your system set-up (crossover? 80-100-120 small large front backs? Do you have any tips?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Quite frankly, the only time I'd get a S8.2 subwoofer is if I only needed a matching subwoofer to the Take5.2 system. Otherwise I would get a much larger subwoofer. Frankly, performance wise, the S8.2 is very poor. When I was in a Canadian audio shop that sold Energy, I saw a UPS package behind the sales counter and there was a S8.2 driver on it. When I picked it up and started messing with it, I noticed the VC former was deformed and the VC was rubbing on something inside the motor structure. The motor structure also seemed very small. The Take5.2s are ok, but Energy really needs to rethink their subwoofers.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi

Rory - did you think that the driver on the UPS box may have been a damaged, returned driver?

I find the sub very good for the small area that i run it in. It is only 8" and would definitely be pushed to the limit in a medium to large room. Every speaker would sound bad if overdriven due to size issues.
If you have a small room and would like to blend the sub to provide more bass to your mains, it is a good choice. Are there better subs - Yes, is it a terrible sub and waste of money - NO

Take it easy

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with Paul. Its no piece of junk. At moderate volumes its very tight and accurate. Theres alot worse as well as alot better thats for sure. BTW, its a great match for the Take 2.2 sats.....

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I agree as well. I think it is a great sub for a small room. I used to have one with my take 5.2 set up. But I upgraded to a SVS 25-31PCi and I really think that sonically, the S8.2 was very accurate like the SVS sub, just not as loud or deep of course. I think the only problem with the S8.2 sub is that it dosnt go quite low enough or move enough air for that tactile feel.

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I used to have an Energy 8" sub with B&W 602's. I can't remember the Energy Model, but this was about 1.5 years ago. I really didn't like the sub very much at all. It cost me about $300 at the time. It just wasn't loud enough. These days, I don't have my B&W's anymore, but I actually have another 8" sub.(guess I'll never learn) It was not very expensive and is from the company Alpha Technology. I think that this sub hits WAY harder than the Energy ever did. In fact, it sounds more like a 10" compared to the energy.

P.J.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks