Enemy at the Gates: Trailer vs. Movie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Nov 26, 2001.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I just got round to watching this film (and really enjoyed it) but I was struck how the distinctive 'freeze-frame/blur' technique seen in the trailer wasn't used at all in the movie (not that I noticed, anyhow).

I don't ever remember seeing a trailer make this sort of directorial decision before. It was actually one of the things that made me want to see it - I'd never seen that sort of thing used before and thought it might make the film visually powerful.

(Having seen the movie I don't think it would have added anything, though.)

What do other people think/know about this?

2. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

I was looking forward to this movie, but that freeze frame trick in the trailer actually put me off a little. I never did get to see it theatrically (which is a shame) but I own the DVD and I have to say I'm glad they didn't use the technique.

Definately an interesting concept, but I'm sure it's not the first time a film's content has been skewed to reach an audience in a trailer. An attempt (failed?) to catch the young money, I guess.

Mark

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I had to download the trailer to get an idea of what you were speaking of. It does seem showy, and I think may be a technique (or something like it) in Behind Enemy Lines which should be out soon.
    I don't think it would be appropriate for the style of Enemy at the Gates.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

They use that a lot for trailers these days, the almost "Matrix"-style cinematography, even though it might not exist in the movie the trailer advertises. Yes it,s just another way to lure people into the movie.

/Mike

5. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

It's a weird look. I would like to see it used in a film somehow as it looks cool but certainly wouldn't have suited Enemy at the Gates.

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Think that's bad - the DVD cover is a reversed photo. Or else they found the World's only left-handed action M91/30 Mosin-Nagant rifle. [​IMG] This caused much mirth over at some gun-nut forums I visit.

7. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I really liked this film. As for the trailer, I believe that was done just to make the trailer more exciting. Just another technique they use.