Enemy At The Gates, disappointing sound.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronNWilson, Aug 16, 2001.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I really was expecting a sonic experience on par with saving private ryan, and if not that the thin red line at the very least. Well the sound definitely wasn't aweinspiring to say the least. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have come to expect excellent sound from war/action based movies and this movie just didn't come up to snuff.
    Although one part of the sound field which I thought was worth a mention was the bombs which would pass from rear left to front right. This was a very neat effect and one which I can't remember hearing before. The matrix had lots of front to back and left right effects, but this diagonal passage of sound definitely provided an interesting new dimension.
    Maybe what this movie really needed was a DTS soundtrack?
    Aaron

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

I tend to agree with you Aaron,
    I was expecting more also. I mean the low end was pretty good but it definitely seemed to be missing something in the higher pitch sounds. The machine gun fire in the opening sequence sounds downright muted. It didn't have that bite that SPR had. I even got up and checked might setup?
    I saw this in a THX-EX certified theatre when it came out and I don't remember the sound sounding like that. My memory is really pretty bad though.
    Who knows it could all be directors intent also. I would hope to hear some more reports of what people thought about the sound on this one. Particularly the opening battle sequence.
    Kevin C.
    [Edited last by Kevin Coleman on August 16, 2001 at 10:25 PM]

3. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

4. David-alexander

David-alexander Stunt Coordinator

Ddvdfile and Widescreen were very pleased with the soundtrack. Now, Widescreen especially has now a very high end, powerful system (something like 7,000watts and a state of the art accoustically and sonically designed HT ) so it could influence their judgement.
    I'll test this one this weekend and report too.
    Do no expect SPR-level here: I saw it in a high end theater and the track was not on par with SPR.
    if you run your system in LARGE but your mains can't reproduce 25hz at very high level (likley) as large subwoofers can and if the room is too small, then you surely are missing the essence of this track.
    try SMALL setup on the source.
    Paramount dvds haven often been noticed for MAIN channels carrying a lot of the bass frequencies. EATG is also said to not have a lot of information in the surrounds.

5. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

David,
    I have my mains set to small. I thought the bass was fine and suffecient. What bothered me was the lack of highs. There was no bite to the bullets like SPR.
    Kevin C.

6. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Whether unfortunate or not, SPR did set the standard for the audio presentation in a war movie. From that perspective, Enemy at the Gates was indeed a disappointment. However, I sensed a 'restraint' in all aspects of the movie. It lacked tension and a taut suspense, and that showed through not only in the movie itself, but also in the auditory sense. In any case, it was worth a rent.

7. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I was expecting more too. I usually turn the volume down a couple notches for movies like this but I turned the volume back to it's normal position, ten minutes into the movie. You'd think with the money they put into it, they would have gone all out on the sound.
    Jeff

8. Frank L

Frank L Stunt Coordinator

Funny, I thought it was just me who thought the sound was lacking. Still it isn't THAT bad, it's just not all it could be.
    ------------------
    F
    [​IMG]

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The sound was really dissapointing in this movie. Even the bass was lacking. I had to turn the volume much higher than normal to "feel" the bombs. As for the rest, no matter how high you turn it, it still doesn't come out to you. I know this is a poor way to explain it but eh... like someone said earlier, it sounds muted.
    No, I was not expecting SPR, but I have seen MANY MANY other movie which sounded much better, and that includes many non action movies. Most of those were DD btw, it is silly to believe DTS has anything to do with it.
    Now we aren't going to start a petition on this are we? [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem - I like the movie, but not THAT much...

10. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

I too agree; the soundtrack doesn't seem as dynamic as other recent cases (U-571, The Patriot, etc.).
    Hell, my SVS 46/16 subwoofer octet hardly broke a sweat with this one! [​IMG]
    -THTS

11. David-alexander

David-alexander Stunt Coordinator

well, I'm getting worried and not, since I recall the soundtrack was lacking in the theaters, it had a laid back presence. have you checked the dialnorm ? maybe Paramount is screwing it down to like Columbia.
    was it -4dB or -6 or more ?
    But again, this movie does NOT have the same soundtrack as SPR or U571. i'd say it's more like A BRIDGE TOO FAR ( I hope it's better cause this one was just a small 192kbps d surround ).
    I'd say if we don't except SPR-level, it's a good track. If we do, it's seriously lacking. SPR has raised the standard for war movies sound to an extreme level. Though war sounds are loud, very loud.

12. Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva Stunt Coordinator

For those of you with a region free dvd:
    Enemy At The Gates is coming out next monday (19th) on R2 and it includes DTS. Here are the specs:
    2.35:1 anamorphic transfer
    Dolby Digital 5.1
    DTS
    Making of Documentary
    Director's Commentary
    Cast and crew interviews
    Filmographies
    Deleted Scenes
    Foreign Campaigns
    Storyboards
    Audio Description
    Theatrical trailer
    Film Posters
    [​IMG]
    Regards, António

13. Mike_Skill

Mike_Skill Stunt Coordinator

This Paramount title defaults to 2.0 unless you go into the menu and switch to 5.1. Anyone forget to make the switch??

14. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

I was a tad dissapointed in the sound too. I was hoping for loud, explosive, surround-hectic sound. Oh well. Pearl Harbor should be like that, hopefully!(I have a feeling I will wear out my FF button on my remote [​IMG] )

15. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Watched this movie last night and the sound was disappointing. My SVS sub took the evening off[​IMG]
    I knew it wouldn't be a great Sound Movie when during the first scene the young boy is preparing to shoot a wolf. I figured that gun shot would startle but it didn't.
    Overall its not a bad movie and Jude Law was great. Worth a rental not a buy in my book.
    JohnG

16. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

John,
    I hear ya! I threw this disc in for the first time with the SVS's and was very disappointed. However, just to keep the BASS God's happy, I cued up good old SPR Chapter 2 (DTS of course). After that was over, all was right in the HT world. [​IMG]

17. Oliver

Oliver Stunt Coordinator

Well, maybe the sound wasn't 100% what one would have expected, but at least the film was much better than most of the patriotic bulls*** Hollywood war films served resently. Actually the film was even pretty good.

Someone mentioned U 571... Now if you in for some real good, better take a look at "Das Boot". U 571 wasn't even mediocre. It was loud and that's all.

18. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Fans of this film who can play PAL DVDs should invest in the UK R2 version. it has a DTS track, an audio commentary and some significant documentary extras, all missing from the R1 DVD.

19. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

The sound on the DVD is exactly as I remember it from the theatre. It is not an agressive sound field like SPR was. Plenty of scenes in this movie are low key and it is obvious, at least to me, that the director has chosen not to go the SPR route with the sound design. This movie reminds me more of the older style of WWII movie except that the violence is portrayed more graphically.

20. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I have the R4 version, and couldn't detect any difference worthy of note between the DTS and Dolby Digital soundtracks. If you import this disc expecting a better experience from the DTS soundtrack, you will be greatly disappointed.

Adam