What's new

Endurance...WOW! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure when it's going to hit home video (not long I'm guessing) but I really can't recommend this documentary more highly.
The full title is Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition and it should easily earn an Oscar nomination for Best Documentary. (I'm not really going out on a limb with that call, as it was just awarded Best Documentary by the National Board of Review!)
It tells the tale of Ernest Shackleton's legendary trek to Antarctica and back in fascinating style. Narrated by Liam Neeson and clocking in around 95 minutes, this is one documentary you should definitely see...even if documentaries aren't normally your bag.
I'd love to know what others thought of this one. I'm certain that some of you HTF movie freaks chose to see it at your local "art theater" a few months back. I'll do some digging and see if a DVD release date has been announced yet.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I have not seen this documentary, but I have seen South, the 1910s documentary shot by Frank Hurly on this expedition. Highly recommended; it is fascinating to watch. What a story! South is out on DVD now - it's an Image disc.
To me, one of the most interesting parts of South is when it flips from describing the men and their plight to showing the creatures of the region towards the end of the film. It seemed totally out of place to me as a contemporary viewer, yet once I realized that most 1919 viewers would never have seen a penguin before, it made perfect sense. It's almost schizophrenic to the standard of From Dusk Till Dawn, except that the second half doesn't suck and isn't really more than five to ten minutes at the end.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I saw the trailer for it before The Man Who Wasn't There. I was floored. I'll definitly try to catch it.

BTW, are there any movies on similar subjects in the IMAX format? Now, that would seriously make my jaw permanently loose.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There's an IMAX movie called Shackelton's Antartic Adventure, which oddly enough has the same director as The Endurance - I think Endurance may even incorporate footage from the large-format one.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ebert & Roeper talked about this on their show a few weeks ago - it was highly recommended.
I don't know about other parts of the country, but Endurance is beginning it's theatrical run in Houston in a couple of weeks (the local paper is advertising a preview next week). I definitely plan to catch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks