What's new

Ending of Akira? (1 Viewer)

Keith_K

Auditioning
I first saw Akira back in the early 90's on a borrowed videotape which was in Japanese, and not even subtitled. I still thought it was spectacular (this was before JP and all the changes CG effects have had for movies).

I finally rented the new DVD, and even with it's English dubbing didn't figure out much more about the ending than I did from just watching the movie without any comprehension of what anyone was saying. (It was really trippy watching giant toys walking around with the funky music and people shouting Japanese, though).

So, as I take it, the end is sorta 2001-ish, kind of a wakening of mankind into a greater form. And the little girl's voice saying "Someday we will be..." and "It only has just begun..." seem to reinforce that without actually completing any sentences. (Did she ever complete a normal sentence?!)

I know there's some comics/graphic novels in the Akira "universe", so would anyone with some more knowledge of the Akira backstory like to illuminate me some more on the ending? Or is it basically just an homage to the potential of mankind, a la 2001?

Thanks!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Akira is based off of Katsuhiro Otomo's original Manga, but only covers about the first quarter of the story and the last few volumes.

The Teddy bears were the other children trying to confuse Tetsuo and was their way of fighting back at him.

It is basically an homage to mankind, as you guessed. Akira shows up and consumes Tetsuo because he can no longer control his power. Akira's presence nukes Tokyo again though.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I first discovered Akira in 89 when I was in the Cartoon Convent.Someone turned me onto the comic book and I was hooked.

The movie is more of a introduction really. It barely covers the first 1/4 of the story. In the comic books, Tokyo was destroyed in issue 16, the series ran almost to 50.

The movie is a riddle, it hints at a lot but tells you nothing and if you hadent read the comic book, I can see how its easy to get lost.

Jeffs description is correct.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know a good place to get the original Manga itself? Did they ever do any kind of collected paperback of them?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No to making another Akira movie, the story is over

Dark Horse comics recently republished the Epic Comics translation in 4 volumes at about 20$ apiece. You should be able to find them in any comic shop or on Amazon.com

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Bud Plant in california also sells the collected volumes.

I would recommend it to anyone.

About a dozen major characters got dropped for the movie and the story is very complex in the book - it keeps going and going and going.

A god comparison would be Jaws - The book and movie are drastically different,same with Akira.

Akira really should have been done as say, a 8 episode series,instead or 2 hour movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks