What's new

Ended up with an extra 20gb PS3 if anyone is interested... (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Paid $540 w/tax for the unit and would like to make $150 on top of that. I went through hell to get this unit only to find out my GF got me one as a surprise which was awesome of her. So basically $690 + shipping and 3% paypal if you want to go that route. I would really just like to earn back what I missed out of from not going to work to get the PS3 which would have been about $150. If anyone is interested, you can email me (top of page in my first post) or pm me. Thanks!

Todd

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Just a note that you can't charge a surcharge for taking Paypal, as it's a violation of the Paypal user agreement. You can offer a discount for other payment methods, but you can't charge extra for using Paypal.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
This is how I have always dealt with using paypal, and how it has always been dealt to me. From all my experience with paypal, the buyer usually pays the 3%. I have always payed the 3% using paypal when buying something, and I expect that in return. If you dont like that, money orders work as well and there is no 3%. It does not matter to me.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Section V of the Paypal User Agreement Payments (Sending, Receiving, and Withdrawals) Policy

I'm just trying to help you make sure your account isn't shut down by Paypal for violating the User Agreement.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link nolesrule, and your concern. I was not aware of this. However, I have never had issue with this, and this is how I have done my sales and buying, as far as the 3% every time. I have never had anyone have an issue with this, but I would be happy to split the 3% with the buyer if they insist on using paypal and have issue with the very comonly used method of the buyer paying the 3%. We can also do a money order which would save us both money. Not trying to be a jerk, but this is how I have always done business no matter if I am buyiing or selling and I will continue to do so.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link nolesrule, and your concern. I was not aware of this. However, I have never had issue with this, and this is how I have done my sales and buying, as far as the 3% every time. I have never had anyone have an issue with this, but I would be happy to split the 3% with the buyer if they insist on using paypal and have issue with the very comonly used method of the buyer paying the 3%. We can also do a money order which would save us both money. Not trying to be a jerk, but this is how I have always done business no matter if I am buyiing or selling and I will continue to do so. I think the biggest issue is the buyer and seller coming to an agreement. If this was an issue with most people (which it never has been for me in the years I have used paypal) I would quit offering the service because this is rediculous IMHO.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
This is how I have always done my transactions if using paypal no matter if I am buying or selling. Sometimes me and the buyer/seller agree to split this, but never has there been someone raise issue with this for me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Please check out the HTF posting guidelines (#10) for this area:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/hdwfsrules.php

We do frown on sellers adding the surcharge for the items they list here on the HTF. Whatever final price you and the buyer agree on is your business, but some buyers reading these postings on the HTF might balk at the surcharge add-on due to the Paypal regulations.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link Patrick. I am sorry it is frowned upon here, I am not trying to cause issue. I obviously have had the exact opposite paypal experiences you guys have had which is ok. I respect the opinions of others on this matter, but like I said this is the only way I have known paypal to work with the many things I have bought and sold. I have seen numerous posts over the years saying something to the effect of "if using paypal, add 3%", and I figured this is how it was commonly done, and from what I have experienced it is. I think the most important thing is that the buyer and seller come to an agreement, which I have never had an issue with until now. Like I said, I would be willing to compromise and split this fee if someone was interested in my PS3 and you want to use paypal.

Sam H

Second Unit
Todd, the problem is even after reviewing the rules of this forum and Paypal, you continue to encourage the buyer to engage in criminal activity which is illegal in many states. What kind of person wants to take this risk over a transaction? If the fees bother you, just figure the 3% into your original asking price and not advertise the buyer paying an illegal surcharge which he/she should not be paying and is not obligated by Paypal or by law to pay.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Good point Sam. I hear what you guys are saying. From now on I will probably price my gear with the 3% in mind, and not advertise the +3% for paypal. I will also offer a discount for other payment methods.

New price is $710 + shipping. I will offer discount depending on payment method.

Does this work, or should I word this differently?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks