End of the DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Charles, Jun 26, 2002.

1. John_Charles

John_Charles Agent

2. MikhailL

MikhailL Extra

Optical storage device have been around for a while. There are a few companies with different implementations competing for market share.
    I don't think DVD is in any danger in the next 10 years though. Why would Hollywood be interested in a technology allowing you to store 3-10 dig. movies on a device the size of a matchbook?

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Every month or so, somebody new comes along, cites one of these press releases, and announces the end of DVD. What generally gets overlooked is that the technology is only part of the equation. The willingness of content providers to release their content in a given format is the real key. DVD as we know it today didn't happen overnight. It took years after the technology was available for all of the major studios to commit to supporting the format. Having done so, and now that they're enjoying substantial revenues from their investment, they're unlikely to undercut DVD anytime soon.

M.

4. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

Well said Michael.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Another vote for Michael's comment. [​IMG]
    If technology won the day every day, and not marketing, etc, we'd all have betamaxes and not vcrs...

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I agree, DVD's aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I think even Hollywood is surprised at how well this format is doing so I don't think they are going to change in the middle of the boom, if it has even started yet. The unfortunate thing with all the success is it probably pushes better technology off further into the background. The hard part of technology is convincing people they need/want to upgrade and once they do it is hard to come back a few years later and convince them again. Maybe not for us junkies but imagine if you had to keep buying a new refrigerator every two years because it became incompatible with your food. Hopefully they will decide to make hddvd backwards compatible and then everyone will be happy.

7. John_Charles

John_Charles Agent

8. Matt

Matt Extra

John,

Just a bit sensitive, or a bad day? I didn't think Michael's comments were meant as a slight against you. If you are looking for meaningful comments, you should have posted some of your own thoughts pertaining to the article. A simple topic of "End of DVD?" with a link to the article can be taken many ways. How is anyone supposed to know if you were just 'another person declaring the death of DVD' or not?

Michael pretty much summed up why DVD will be around for a while. There will always be great new technologies out there, but they have to be adopted. The way the RIAA and movie studios are reacting to new technologies, I wouldn't expect to see them embracing anything new for a long time.

Matt

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I agree with matt, you could've stated your intent in the first post rather than a vague statement in your title and simply providing a link.

From my point of view, your title sounds like a rhetorical question.

And what Michael said is true, every now and then another thread pops up stating a new optical medium that'll hold 10x as much data as DVD, and declares (questions?) the demise of DVD...

10. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Matt on this one. There's no doubt that John is educated, given the quality of his writing, but his response wasn't appropriate. Michael was just stating a fact about the nature of most of these posts.

11. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    John:

The fact that Michael is an "Administrator" of this board has nothing to do with his comment to your statement and link.

Your comment of