What's new

End of Rental Pricing? (1 Viewer)

HalS

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you worried about rental pricing, there's a big article in tomorrow's Daily Variety (on the web site tonight) that talks about the challenge to Blockbuster's dominance by Warner and suggests that this may be the first step towards rental pricing disappearing in all forms, even for VHS.

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
bummer! i can't get to the article cuz i don't subscribe.
would anyone be willing to post the highlights of this article? i am really interested in finding out what it says.
thanks!!
bpl

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I agree with Eric. I would never say anything bad about WB anymore. I might even forgive them for the Wonka fiasco. (I doubt that) :)

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
I can't get the article, but this is great news. It's too bad Warner has and does do some great things, and then has to go and do something stupid like with Wonka. We need to yell and scream when they make dumb mistakes, but we also should cheer when they do things like this. That's why I don't like the universal boycott idea some have suggested. We should make sure we congratulate them for the good just as much as we chastise them for the bad in the upcoming chat.
------------------
Stephen

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Seems like I recall dialoging with you about this more than a year ago, Hal. (Haven't seen you here in a while; glad you're back.)
Anyhow, does anyone get the feeling that Warner somewhat dominates this little passion of ours in ways we do not like? Off-topic: Blockbuster's unhealthily close association with Warner, if you will recall, appears to be the reason we here in Region 1 are unable to see the unrated version of Eyes Wide Shut in any format (commercial theater or home theater).
An end to rental-window pricing and its spectre looming over DVD would go a long way toward redeeming Warner in the eyes of home-theater enthusiasts.
Who knows? First, an end to rental windows, then a firm commitment to OAR, and then...maybe an end to those dreadful snapper cases?
------------------
2001-a.jpg

HalS

Stunt Coordinator
quote: Seems like I recall dialoging with you about this more than a year ago, Hal. [/quote]
I never had seen evidence that rental pricing was guaranteed, which is what a lot of people here thought. I remember discussing that if it was economically the right way to go then you couldn't blame the studios for going to rental pricing (and in fact they'd have basically no choice) but I didn't see that was necessarily going to be the case. I don't think we've seen a final determination but I remain skeptical that rental pricing is going to be a widespread situation in terms of DVD.
PS. I see the article has now been linked from another source, Variety articles cannot be linked because they are sub only and I think they frown upon people lifting stuff from the web site and posting it in it's entirety. Fortunately, most major Variety articles are later picked up by one of the wire services.
[Edited last by HalS on August 22, 2001 at 06:09 PM]

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah but if the Wonka/Cats fiasco is any indication maybe they have come up with something that is even worse than being in bed with BlockBuster.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks