What's new

ENcoding MP3 files (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm using CD-EX with LAME3.93 to do my encoding. I'm in the process of transferring my 2000CD's over for a Jukebox project. I Encode at 192bit. But you can adjust the speed of the encode from Normal to Highest quality. Normal encodes about 33 sec a song, High at about 49 sec and Highest at about 55 sec. It may not seem like too much difference, but when you ripping so many CD's it is. Is there a noticible difference in the sound quality between these speeds?

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
192k CBR isn't really good enough to avoid noticeable quality degradation, at the very least I would use --alt-preset standard, which will give you VBR files of approximatelyl 192k (varies depending on the type of music), which will sound noticeably better.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well it's a quality vs. Space consideration. I've listened to alot of MP3's at a 192kCBR and quite honestly they sound perfectly fine to me.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Download a frontend like RazorLAME. You can put all your files into a queue, start it, and let it run while you sleep. If you're converting lots of files that's the most efficient way to go...

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I've downloaded more than a couple mp3 files now that were marked as 128 kbps, and took the requisite time to download. When I try to play them, though, I get no readout, no music, and silence, and the file stops within the first second.

Anyone shed any light on what THAT's about?
Most importantly, how do I screen for those files so I don't waste time downloading blank space?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

CDex does the same thing, and since Dave is ripping from disc and can only load one cd at a time- that makes such a point moot.

I dunno why people always suggest these other apps, I really think CDEX is the best frontend there is.

-Vince

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I dunno why people always suggest these other apps, I really think CDEX is the best frontend there is.
I don't know Vince...I used CDEX until I discovered AudioGrabber, and haven't looked back since. They're both pretty comparable though.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
but CDex is free. Why pay for Audiograbber if it does the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks