Enclosure for projector

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary Shipley, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

Has anyone constructed an enclosure(cover), to help decrease the fan noise of their projetor.The fan noise is not unbearable, but is noticeable during quiet moments of a movie. I'm using a Sanyo PLV-60HT projector which is mounted to a 7'suspended ceiling(via a suspended ceiling kit).

2. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I've made one. You can find all sorts of web sites about creating hush boxes.

There are three tricks to making such a box:

1. You should line the box with a sound absorbing material such as J&M TheaterShield. (Which I believe has been renamed.)

2. You should use a piece of "float glass" to shine the image through. Float glass is a specially constructed glass that does not have any optical defects. Most glass has slight defects which can deflect some of the beam. Float glass can be purchased quite reasonably from Edmund Scientific.

3. You may need to have a ventilation system. This depends upon how much heat your projector puts out. Remember that you're enclosing it in a box. In my case I have a projector with a very hot zenon bulb. I have a (no lie) industrial-sized ventilation fan and ducting system that pulls triggers when the hush box temperature exceeds 85 degrees. It is ducted to the outside.

-greg

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Elaborate Greg. Hopefully the exhaust fan is not too noisy [​IMG]

4. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

The trick is exausting with a larger fan than the one in the projector, but at a lower RPM.