What's new

enclosure building question (1 Viewer)

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Do I need much internal bracing in a 12ft3 box if I make the box out of doubled up pieces of 3/4" mdf? (box within a box all sides would be 1.5")

Craig

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
12ft^3 or 1.2ft^3?
If it's not a typo and you are building a 12ft^3 box then definately.
This one is only 7ft^3 gross internal volume and the front baffel is 3 layers of 3/4" mdf while the rest is 2 layers. Some would call it a little over built, but still.
Link Removed

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
that doesn't surprise me, hehe.. I think I will go doubled up with a couple doubled up dividers in the box.. This time it should be easier as im using butt joint with a brad nailer and glue, instead of screw/glue..

Craig

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't bother doubling up the braces. In fact, if you want to keep the weight down some, use plywood instead of MDF.

Pete

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Pete,

can you suggest some types of wood I could get from home depot that would work as doubled up braces, with prices?

Craig

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You could try well-braced 3/4" marine grade or Baltic Birch ply. More expensive, but much lighter and as effective in a sub app. as doubled 3/4" MDF.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Jack,

i already got ahead of myself and bought/cut the mdf for the outside box and the inner box. I am gonna build the ouside box with MDF, then glue/brad a smaller box inside of the larger box.. Maybe instead of using MDF for the inside box and braces, I could use the ply. Do I need to spend the money on baltic/marine or could I use something cheaper but just as good as MDF?

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks