What's new

Enclave first impressions (In depth as always) (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
No drops??? Hmmm, not sure if I like that. So the only thing that you actually find is gold and then you use that gold to buy stuff?
Yes, but that is actually an enjoyable part of the game. Finding all the gold in each level has become an obesession for me. If I am nearing the end of a level and seem to be low on gold I go back and look for the hidden areas or what I might have missed. (Once you start a level it tells you how much gold is there with a number at the top right ex: 0/400). Its also nice that you can reply *every* level in the game so as to find all the gold pieces.
Also I didn't realize until about the 5th level that the gold you get is spread evenly across your characters. Which means if you collect 500 gold, all of your characters will receive 500 gold. No need to be stingy. Spend! Spend! Spend!.
Heres some updated impressions so far. I have reached level 10 in my game so I'm pretty far into the light campaign. (Level 9 is literally the equivalant of videogame hell!)
-The weapon and armor upgrade aspect of the game is really quite enjoyable. Admittedly its simple and not competing with the thousands of items available in a game like Morrowind. Nonetheless there is something *REALLY* satisfying about loading you halfling with an ax thats twice her size.:D
Tuning my characters weaponry and armor before a level is one of my favorite things in the game. I'm not even going to mention the arrow and bolt choices you get..I'll leave that as a suprise:emoji_thumbsup:
-Difficulty has definitely ramped up in the later levels. Im pretty sure the casual gamer will cease playing after level 6 as thats when things start to get really difficult. Personally I have not been horribly frustrated with Enclave.
As stated above level 9 gave me allot of problems. Are there instant death sequences in the game? Oh yeah, there are plenty of them. Is it unfair? Oh yeah:D. With that said though, something people need to realize as they play though is that Enclave gives you allot of prewarning and foreshadowing when it comes to the death traps.
If you hear your controller rumble, be attentive as something may just fall on you. There is a trap in the Deserted Temple level that has the floor crumble underneath you revealing large spikes. Now any attentive gamer will notice that the floor is crumbling since it looks out of place (The tiles appear to falling and loose) and you can even hear the crumbling as you walk closer!! The point is that you can't run through this game fighting and shooting. You have to tread carefully and pay attention.
I would say that level of tension and attentiveness is what Starbreeze was going for and why they didn't add a save anywhere function or a multiple checkpoint system.
Now, Do I agree with this kind of game design? I honestly can't give a yes or no. I appreciate the difficulty and I in no way would want starbreeze to put a save anywhere feature into the game. That would dumb down Enclave far too much for me since the difficulty is something that I am actually enjoying. I do think that one (and only one) mid-level save or checkpoint per level at the cost of some gold (ala the boss checkpoints) may be a good in between. It would allow for a good "sigh of relief" once you reach the middle of the level without killing the difficulty. I also think it would alleviate some of the "cheapness" reviewers complained about.
-A nice little diversion in Enclave is a kind of "Test your might" mini-game in Enclave that sets up different degrees of challenges. Most are based around killing a set number of enemies with the reward being more gold and the unlocking of next highest difficulty mini-game. Its a good diversion that lets you hone your skills against different types of enemies and most importantly lets you measure what kind of a man you really are:D
-One complaint that I want to mention is the ranged combat in the game and how it evolves. As you move through the game you will notice that at times the ranged combat revolves around just running backwards and shooting. This is frankly unavoidable since you of course need to have enemies that the melee characters have to deal with but its a bit too formulaic.
There are some fantastic sections that you get to play through that let you snipe your enemies from afar and this is exactly what I would have liked to have seen more of throughout the game.
Some added chances to suprise your enemies and a bit more of a stealth focus on the ranged weaponry would have improved the range combat quite a bit.
As you can probably see by now I am still very much enjoying Enclave. I in no way regret buying it and for me its a keeper. I have no doubt there will a split of opinion out there with this one. If you can handle the difficulty and this genre interested you I see no reason not to give it a chance.
As of now right now my original score range still stands. I'll even solidify the score even more with a solid 7.6 (Still subject to change until I beat the game). Once I complete the light campaign I'll update with a final score for that portion of the game.
Thanks for listening.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
All right, all right, I'm going out and buying this one tonight! :D
Romier,
Thanks for nothing! ;)
Troy

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I think this is another case of game testers getting too good at the game. The first time through a level can be tough as hell, but the 2nd or 3rd time is a breeze.

Pretty fun game, but the sucky save system + a few instant kill areas are fatal flaws (no pun intended).

I think I'll wait for clearance prices before I buy it.

-Dave

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
So how do you kill that big lava guy at the end of the fire level? I breezed through that area with the druid (love creating those stone guys to whomp on the bad guys for me :)) and then got the end and realized I had no idea how to actually hurt the guardian. Does it have something to do with that weird sword you find in the mill? :)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Andy,
Spoilers perhaps? ;)
Anyway, I picked this up last night (found a previously played one no doubt) and I'm loving it! I bought it at 9ish and I played for about a half an hour or so before I went to see Reign of Fire (liked the movie).
I got back home around 11:30ish and played till 1:15am! I'm on level 3, where you have to guard Marcus. I wasn't really concerned with trying to get all the gold for now until I have a good feel for the game.
I love it, the graphics, the sound! Xbox heaven. I'm not sure a lot of the review sites have a widescreen HD set, but I would rate the graphics right up there with Halo, and the other great Xbox lookers. The sound is excellent, I usually turn my sub up for most video games but I didn't need to for Enclave. Actually I did turn it up and I almost blew my sub apart with the bass effects in the beginning of the game! You've never heard a more sickening sound than your SVS 20-39 bottoming out repeatedly for more than 20 seconds! Phew....
I'm getting pretty adept at attacking, stick-n-jab moves work great when there's room. I just need to get my right stick movement down pat, it seems a little more sensitive than Halo or Max Payne movement.
Other than that, I'm enthralled, I love this game.
My rating :star::star::star::star:1/2 outta :star::star::star::star::star:!
Troy
Can't wait to get home from work

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Andy,
You need to use the Ice Sword. When he throws the small lava creatures at you and they come towards you, hit them with the Ice Sword which will "freeze" them. Then hit them again and it will lobe the enemies back at the Lava boss. Keep doing it until he falls and you will move to the Harbor level. Good luck on that one cause the harbor is quite the challenge!

Troy good to hear your enjoying it my friend:)

Andre F

Screenwriter
Romier,
You must have a BIG budget for games. You always have the latest and greatest. Nevermind the money where do you find the time. Are you some kind of super gamer? :D
-Andre F

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
When re-doing levels to find more gold is the state as you left it - ie. all the enemies dead? Or do you have to replay from scratch while maintaining access to higher levels already completed?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
When re-doing levels to find more gold is the state as you left it - ie. all the enemies dead? Or do you have to replay from scratch while maintaining access to higher levels already completed?
You redo the level from scratch. All enemies will be respawned. You will still however be able to leave the level whenever you like and you will always maintain access to the higher levels.

In other words if you go back to an older level you *WILL NOT* lose access to later levels.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Old family secret. Just kidding. Usually my schedule works out to be that I work from 3-4pm until 11:30-12:30am. Depending on when I leave and get home. After about 11:30 I have the whole night to myself. I usually don't go to bed until about 7-8am. I wake up at around 12-1pm. (If I ever get more than 5-6 hours of sleep I feel horribly exhausted). Not too much shopping or socializing can be done at those hours so I usually fill the time with gaming/internet downloading/surfing/more work (special projects for my company).
My wonderous, beautiful and beyond understanding wife Sara works day shift (she goes to work at 6am) so shes in bed by 10pm. Thats why I have most of the night to myself. Its difficult at times because we don't see each other allot during the week. That is part of the reason why Sundays and Mondays (My two days off) are strictly game and friends free as its the two main days I get to spend quality time with my wife.
Other times I get breaks at work and will come home early, get the day off, stuff like that. I get plenty of vacation time too so I can pretty much have what days I want off if I ask for them in advanced. I'll usually spend most of that time with Sara on those days, go out with friends. The rest of it is filled with?...you guessed it...gaming.
I'm hoping to go day shift soon though (Hopefully my employers get off thier ass soon and approve my change!!) so I can spend more time with my wife (As much as I love gaming nothing is more important than her to me). Once I do I'm gonna have to manage my time a little bit differently but I'll always find time for my second love..gaming.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Romier,
I shouldn't really talk, I have a stack of games just sitting there (a few I still have in the shrink wrap). Anyway, for me it's more of a time issue. I have a 10 month old son and a wife so that's where my time goes (I love them both dearly). BTW, sorry to be sooooooo off topic.
-Andre F

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Ok,

Further assessment. I've just finished level 4? where you have to rescue Marcus' treasures. It was a good level and if there's better to come, then this game is really shaping up to be the shit!

I fixed my manueverability issue by changing my Y-axis layout in the menu. Now we're cooking with gas! It feels just like Max Payne (kinda moves like it too, hmm). This level I mostly used the bow, worked out very nicely.

It makes me want to go back to 'properly' conquer the other levels again, but I'll see.

Troy

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Romier! I'll give that a try when I get back to the game. I realize that it never occurred to me to use the sword in that fashion because I was using the druid on that level and she's far better attacking at a distance. I almost never think about melee weapons with her. I did try the sword once, but that was when I tried hacking at the giant's feet while he was distracted with one of my golems, and that obviously didn't do any good :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Just bumping this thread so I remember to post in it tomorrow. :emoji_thumbsup: (just got the game)

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I bought this after reading here and renting it. Wow, this game is very cool and looks beutiful on a widescreen set.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've just picked up this game after reading some of the positive comments in this forum. The fact that it is $29.99 at Best Buy helped too. :)
After reading Romier's in-depth analysis, I'm not sure what else I can say. nice job Romier! I will echo your praise for the sound & graphics.
The only complaint I have on the sound is that the voices are often spread across the soundstage too much & can be a bit boomy at times, but I am nitpicking here. Those subwoofer massaging thumps on the first level are a joy & the sound overall is just awesome!
The graphics are top-notch all around. I have no complaints whatsoever. Just high praise. :emoji_thumbsup:
The presentation overall is quite enjoyable, too. The story is interesting so far, & the cut-scenes, music & even the game menus create a cool kind of epic atmosphere. I'd never heard of (the developer) Starbreeze before this game, but I am looking forward to watching them in the future.
I'm only on level 4 so far...just got my butt handed to me. I'm looking forward to the supposed high level of difficulty in this game, as that's one area that I find most games to be lacking. Of course, I've got the hardcore gamer mad-skillz.
I'll probably post some more detailed impressions after about level 8 when I've just smashed my controller in total frustration. ;)
-Dan B.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Found it today for $29.99! Best Buy must have gotten some new ones last night. Just waiting on company to leave so I can pop it in and play some.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I think the high level of difficulty was a little over exaggerated. It's not a cake-walk but, it's not all THAT hard. Actually, level 4 was where I really got stuck. That jagoff at the end of the level! Finally just said the hell with it, used my Druid, got rid of everything she had so that I had enough money for the best possible spell casting weapon, and then beat that level.

After that, I didn't give up on the game until I finished every level in both campaigns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks