What's new

Enchanted April? Will it ever be released? (1 Viewer)

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
The title essentially says it all. I watched the tape again recently, and it seems to be a Miramax film. Does anyone know if they still hold the rights, and if there are any plans to release it? A widescreen version of this beautiful film would be great!

TIA

SMK

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
This has come up probably once every six months for the past few years.

The 1992 version of Enchanted April is my favorite movie that is not yet available on Region 1 DVD. Directed by Mike Newell (who is doing the new Harry Potter) and counting among its stars Alfred Molina, Miranda Richardson, Jim Broadbent, Polly Walker, and Joan Plowright... it's not exactly an obscure, meritless film. So why we don't have it yet, who knows.

Last time I saw it on pay cable, I noticed that at the very end, the Paramount logo came up.... so is it really Miramax, or is it Paramount, or some combination? Neither studio has a great track record when it comes to DVD....

Matt Shiv

Agent
It was a Miramax release during the period of time when Paramount Home Video was handling their home video distribution. That was before the company teamed up with Buena Vista.

There are SO many films from this era that Paramount handled that I would love to see make it to DVD. I would buy "Enchanted April" in a heartbeat. Same goes for "The Double Life Of Veronique", "Delicatassen", and "Kafka". I also wish somebody would dig up "Prosperos Books". That one came out through Media/CBS Fox on vhs as I recall, but was distributed through Miramax around the same time.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Count me as another "regular" to the "when is Enchanted April coming out on DVD???" club.

I've got some chinese-version (don't think it's a boot) from ebay that's R0 but it's got messed up sound (shifted to one channel) and PQ is barely on par with my laserdisc.

I'm assuming the OAR for this film was 1.66:1. Sure would be nice to see it in 16x9 OAR properly transfered... :D :D :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Polly Walker is in the spotlight right now due to her role in HBO's "Rome" series, so maybe that will inspire some executive to get EA released.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This is one of the tapes I keep in my safe. It stays there, except for an occasional viewing, until a proper DVD is released.

Cees

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Yes, Polly Walker has been very good (and revealing) in Rome. I have also been watching Michael Kitchen through the years in various PBS offerings. Most recently he has been the title character on Foyle's War. And I have seen Josie Lawrence in various things as well as at an improv club in London.

I hope something inspires whoever owns the rights finally to release a version worthy of this picture. The LD was pan and scan with rather poor picture quality.

SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks