"Enchaced Stereo" thru A/V Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt H, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

When watching TV with sound coming through a Pro Logic/DD/DTS A/V receiver, does having the TV set to (in the case of JVC TV's) "Hyper Surround" cause the audio signal to be processed TWICE. Once from the TV's "Hyper Surround" application then again when the sound passes through the A/V receiver (pro logic)?
    I've noticed that the sound really is "enhanced" (especially the rear surrounds) when the TV is set to "Hyper Surround", however I was wondering if the TV's application plus the A/V's signal processing of the TV's ALREADY processed signal constitutes DOUBLE processing which may be interfering with the true signal. I hope I'm being clear with this.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

3. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

The receiver in question is the Yamaha RX-V800 and it's mode is set to "Normal" (Pro Logic). So while watching TV the receiver is supposed to be putting out the signal as Pro Logic (Normal mode) on this particular receiver.
    Actually it does sound good with the TV set to "Hyper Surround". The rear surrounds are more pronounced and the fronts (L/C/R) sound more "full".

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer