What's new

Empire, the 1962 series (1 Viewer)

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Empire was a NBC one hour 'modern western' that lasted one season in 1962-63.
Its 32 episodes were in color and the production values were excellent.
Former movie star Richard Egan starred as Jim Redigo, foreman of an enormous ranch in Texas owned by the very wealthy Garrett family: they had oil fields, cattle and a timber business. (The series was shown as "Garrett" in England).
Among the costars were Ryan O'Neal, as the young Garrett heir, and, for the second half of the season, Charles Bronson, as one of the workers.
Kathleen Hite, writer of some of Gunsmoke's most memorable scripts, was the show's creator.
After one season, Egan repeated his role as Jim Redigo in a second season: the series' name became Redigo, and it was shortened to 30 minutes. It lasted just 30 episodes, but it was also very good, although not as good as Empire, which was a great drama.
In short, with all these ingredients, including future superstars like O'Neal and Bronson, I've never understood why Empire hasn't come out on DVD
Anyone knows?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Empire is a good show. I have most of the series from the run on CBN. One problem might be that there are no tape elements and any transfer would require a remastering project. I can tell you that I know a company is considering it.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Thanks. That would be great. I also have tapes of 22 of the episodes, mostly in black and white, and a couple of the Redigos.
Anyway, its a natural for a DVD release, after the recent release of excellent 'modern westerns' of that era like Stoney Burke and The Wide Country.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Just read that Redigo lasted only 15 episodes in black and white after the 32 of Empire were filmed in color. Sony owns the rights to both series, so you might want to contact them about maybe a MOD release.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
Just read that Redigo lasted only 15 episodes in black and white after the 32 of Empire were filmed in color. Sony owns the rights to both series, so you might want to contact them about maybe a MOD release.
I wouldn't hang my hat on that one. Sony MOD put out Born Free and Ghost Story and to the best of my knowledge nothing since. Doesn't look like they're continuing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks