Empire Records? Worth it?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tony Whalen, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Hey all!

I see on my list of things-to-buy is Empire Records: Special Fan Edition, or whatever they are calling the new disc.

Has anyone picked this up yet? I already have the older DVD, so I'm wondering if it's worth the double-dip. (This is one of my wifes favorite movies...)

Any input would be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Tony:

I didn't even realize a new version had come out. If it's decent, I would consider picking it up, as I really enjoy the movie.

3. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

It was pretty enjoyable but I haven't seen the film is a while i'd forgotten what was new and what wasn't but had the feeling that I preferred the original cut.

There is however a horrible edit in the middle of the end credits where they have added additional credits for this version. It would have been better to add them on after it ended.

The biggest disappointment is that Warner discontinued the original theatrical cut.

4. Scott Ware

Scott Ware Stunt Coordinator

If you can find it for a decent price, then yeah, it's worth it. If it helps, here are descriptions of the deleted/ extended scenes:

1) Extended opening featuring a lusty customer who comes after the store has closed. Lucas let's her in and she tells him of her husbands busy tow-truck job.
    2) Extended scene where A.J. tells Gina and Cory of the bad luck Lucas had had the night before. In the theatrical cut, A.J. tells the two that he has 'crazy news' to tell them. It then cuts to the three walking in the store.
    3) Deleted scene of Cory's younger sister coming into the store to give Cory a letter from Harvard. She reads the letter and informs everyone that she's accepted.
    4) Deleted scene of Marc being called into Joe's office. Joe tricks him into admiting that they saw Lucas earlier. Joe sends A.J. to go find Lucas. As A.J. is leaving, Lucas walks into the store.
    5) Deleted scene of Marc sweeping the floor. This is the part in the theatrical cut where Joe says, "could you please not sing, Marc!". In the theatrical cut, it is rearranged to where Cory and Gina are watching the Rex Manning video. Here, it is its own scene.
    6) Extended scene of A.J. trying to tell Cory his feelings, only to get hesitant and walk away. The "Romeo and Juliet" montage occurs much earlier in this cut.
    7) Deleted scene of Gina giving Cory her lucky red bra (which explains why she gives it back after she gets humiliated).
    8) Deleted scene of Cory looking at her self in the mirror to see how the bra looks.
    9) Extended scene: When Cory offers herself to Rex in the theatrical cut, she gets offended when he unzips his pants off-camera. In this cut, he says, "Hope you like the taste of blue cheese" while unzipping.
    10) Extended scene of Gina flirting with Rex.
    11) Extended scene of Gina checking Rex's underwear.
    12) Deleted scene of Marc explaining to some customers what it would mean if Empire Records closed.
    13) Deleted scene of A.J. asking Gina what she and Cory had done the night before.

I think that's it. This cut's about 15 minutes longer. Some stuff is pretty funny and definately should have been left in the film, while other stuff is kind of pointless. There's also 4 extra scenes that are selectable from the menu that don't appear in either cuts.

Hope this helps

5. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

I had thought Tobey Maguire's scenes were going to be put back in but I didn't notice him anywhere however, his name appears in the end credits.

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I thought the two discs featured similar picture and sound quality. I'd only seen the flick once - on the earlier DVD - before I watched the "Remix", so I found it tough to recognize the new material. Nonetheless, I preferred the original cut - I thought it was tighter. This movie tends to drone a bit anyway, so extra footage doesn't help it.

However, if you're a big fan, I think it's worth it...

7. Scott Ware

Scott Ware Stunt Coordinator

Nope. No Tobey McGuire.