What's new

EMPIRE OF THE SUN -- Steven Spielberg's Overlooked, Misunderstood Masterwork (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
How would I convince anyone of anything? Another sign you haven't read the thread.

Personally, I still think the film is a misfire, but it's far deeper than I suspected. It's definitely misunderstood.

To read all of that information and say "You're reading too much into it because..." and to give some support is one thing. To do what you've done, which is to publicly dismiss all the analysis without even reading it, is another thing entirely. It's classless and insulting.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:laugh: oh jeez are you still after me? I mean look at Ernest, his reaction, does he have a go at me? It's his thread and he's laughing this off, what a contrast! Chill.

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
Eh I dont see why, I've read teh thread, I just didnt feel teh need to repeat what others have said...so a summary would suffice. If the film was so great I'm sure the video sales atleast would have been good.

What makes a film great is not what one person thinks, but what a majority thinks.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
What makes a film great is not what one person thinks, but what a majority thinks.

-- Shawn, my fellow Texican

/

How completely untrue. What makes any film great is the perceived value of it from the perspective of an individual. Many individulas agreeing on that point may constitute a majority some day, but it all starts with the individual opinion.

I mean look at Ernest, his reaction, does he have a go at me? It's his thread and he's laughing this off, what a contrast! Chill.

One of the great advantages of continued life is the process of learning. And in my 34 years of life on this planet, I've learned many things, and I continue to learn. One of the things I've codified as one of my own discoveries is that people do not really change, they simply receive better information. And from that information, they can choose how they wish to move forward.

Now, I've recently heard a profound bit of wisdom from a person I think we would all agree is a very flawed man. I won't name who it is, because the message would be lost in the controversey over the messanger, but his point was well taken, and I think there is great wisdom here.

His point was that, in any disagreement, be it politics, religion, the arts, what have you -- you will never win a debate, you will never be able to force someone into your way of thinking, if you try to shout down, bully, intimidate or insult the person you are debating with. The only thing you will accomplish by that tactic is pushing your deabte partner further into his own camp.

The only thing you can do, the BEST thing you can do, is simply, cheerfully, express your own thinking and perhaps invite the other side to try and see the issue from your point of view. Then, you leave it up to your "opponent" to do their own thinking. Then they are free to examine your words without their "shields up" as it were.

The very LAST thing that's going to make people change their minds in a debate is getting in their face.

So Steve has his opinion. I want Steve to reconsider it. Do I say, "Steve, you knuckle dragging moron. You are obviously a mouth breathing troglodyte who is unfit to even spell the name Spielberg much less understand this movie." Or do I say, "Hey, Steve. I agree the kid was unlikable and I can see why you had problems with it. But did you check out those pictures that Mike posted in response to my review? What did you think?"

Which of the two is most likely the path to Steve seeing what we're talking about? Which one is most likely going to cause him to dislike this movie more, because he will come to associate our harsh treatment with the movie itself?

In any debate, be cool. Be positive. Express your thoughts and encourage others to see your point of view. That's the best you can do. Nobody is ever going to agree with anything someone says because they're "humbled" into it. Especially on line.

And yes, Empire of the Sun was a deeply misunderstood movie, and it is a masterwork.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I dug up this old thread tonight.
I always remembered this analysis of this movie but I also remmember I have never fully read it. It's a good read though so far.
Anyway I am currently having my girlfriend watch this movie. She had never seen it before and is absolutely captivated and has sais like 3 times "That kid is amazing" for carrying the movie like he does. :) She also recognized him as Christian Bale pretty quickly. :)
I just noticed Ben Stiller was in the movie. I never caught that before. (Actually, she caught it, not me.)

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
With the imminent release of Batman Begins I was going to watch this again tonight to see how it all began for Christian Bale. I read Ernest's great analysis last year and after watching it a few times, it finally "clicked." I'm wondering what my reaction will be this time around?
Is it me or is Bale getting type-casted? Spoiled rich kid to spoiled rich vigilante? :D

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Is it me or is Bale getting type-casted? Spoiled rich kid to spoiled rich vigilante?
Bale is amazing in EOTS, make no mistake. I wonder why he wasn't a LOT more well known actor after re-viewing that movie again now. He just has a great ability and just owns EOTS. Kind of reminds me of the natrual and great talent Haley Joel Osmet has. But I for one have seen the guy in very few movies between Empire and Batman.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just purchased the bluray of Empire Of The Sun and was reminded if this great thread. Terrific reading for this great underrated classic from Steven Spielberg. Ernest, where are you??? You are missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks