Empire Of The Sun Menu System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roger Mathus, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    On my Toshiba SD-P1000 Region 1 portable, Empire Of The Sun displays Japanese menu system. I have never seen this before with a Region 1 disc on a Region 1 player.
    My first assumption is that the DVD may be Region 1/Region 2 and the player is somehow set to default to Japanese. As i am travelling without remote control (needed to get into set-up) I cannot confirm if there is indeed such a setting. Player is as purchased in USA and I have not changed any settings.
    Has anyone else experienced Japanese menu on this title?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, but I'll probably be able to check today, since my player is set to Japanese language first, then English
    Jeff Kleist

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Not on this title yet (Amazon has not shipped).
    But I have seen other dual Japanese/English menu systems as far back as Universal's Waterworld.
    - Steve

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

There should be an option in the player's setup menu called "Menu Language" (on Pioneer it's "SOFT MENU"). Yellow Submarine has menus in English, French and Japanese, and most Laserlight titles have menus in different languages too. I haven't checked out any of the recent Warner discs that are now supporting languages outside the usual French and Spanish.

5. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus
    It indeed sounds like disc intended for Region 1/ Region 2. Steve, I do indeed remember the first four Universal titles as Region 1/Region 2. This is the first Warner I have experienced. Strange that the Toshiba player was set for Japanese menu default as it is clearly Region 1 model.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Other than the possible menu problem, what's your guys' impression of the video and audio quality? I held off on picking it up today ($21 CDN!) until I hear good word...
    Thanks!

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Max, I haven't received my copy yet, but there are reviews of this disc up at most of the top DVD review sites. All are positive.
    I love this film & it sounds like Warner has done right by it. I can't wait to get my copy!
    ------------------
    Too many DVDs, too little time...
    AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

8. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Max,
    I viewed the opening 30 minutes or so on my 100" matte screen w/ my LT-150 and HTPC. I looks very good. I can't say much for the sound as my kids were asleep and I didn't want to wake them. I taped the documentary when it played on Bravo and thought it was great. This disc is definately worth 21 Canuckbucks... or $14US...
    Later,
    Miles

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Thanks for the responses guys...I'll pick it up soon!

10. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus
    It turns out that this disc is indeed coded for both Region 1 and Region 2. It plays in Japanese Region 2 players. It may also be Region 3 but I don't have Region 3 player to check it in. I also found several other recent Warner catalog titles marked Region 1 but are also coded for Region 2. It appears that Warner is doing this to make larger production run to cover more than one Region.