Empire of the Sun looks fantastic!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phu Vo, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Just got this DVD today along with Tomb Raider. When I got home, I watched Tomb Raider first. Wasn't too impressed with Tomb Raider's video especially considering that the movie was just in theaters a few months back. Thought that the transfer lacked shadow detail and was a bit soft. So when I popped in Empire of the Sun right after that, I wasn't expecting too much. I mean, after all, this is a 15 year old film. But boy was I in for a surprise. The print is near flawless. Virtually fleck free. The transfer is gorgeous. It really shows off the very life-like and surprising vivid colors of this WWII period piece (excellent cinematography on this movie btw). Picture is very sharp and contrast is right on. Shadow detail is excellent. There is a night scene in the boy's room at the beginning of the movie just before Shanghai is attacked that really shows this off quite well. And after being jedi-mind tricked (EE paranoia) from reading Boejern Roy's Ulitimate guide to EE and his review of EP1, I looked through and through for signs of EE. Only tiny hints of EE here and there and you will have to really look for it if you want to see EE.
    I was pretty hesitant to pick this one up today since Xmas is around the corner and I need to curb my spending soon. But when I saw it for $17, I knew it was a steal. All in all, one of Spielberg's more underrated flicks. I think this has to do with the fact that the actual history behind this movie is still overlooked today in terms of historical significance. Definitely worth being in my collection.
    Equipment used:
    NEC LT150 DLP projector
    72" 4x3 DIY screen
    ATI Radeon equipped HTPC
    ATI DVD Player 4.1

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Good to hear but hows the remastered 5.1????
    Wes

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Looks like I definitely have to rent this title that I know little about. Yes, please comment on the sound as well.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Thanks for the review. I've got it on order!

5. Miles

Miles Second Unit

I have to agree... this transfer looks great. I didn't get a chance to view with the audio cranked... this film certainly does have a nice soundtrack.
    Equipment used:
    NEC LT150 DLP projector
    100" 4x3 Draper matte screen
    NVidia GeForce2MX equipped HTPC
    WinDVD 3.x (not sure...)

6. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Can't really comment on the audio since after watching Tomb Raider and all of the extras, it was pretty late into the night. I watched Empire of the Sun using my headphones so as to not get kicked out of my house. So I can't comment specifically on the new mix. It is just that the transfer of this film really took me by surprise considering the age of the flick and how it has been disregarded through the years.
    For those of you wondering about the film and why it is such an obscure title coming from Steven Spielberg, it is a coming of age film set in China during WWII. It is not quite as brutally honest as his more recent efforts. The events of this movie revolve around Western settlers living in China under British diplomacy. The attack on Pearl Harbor coincided directly with the events in this movie. That very same day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, Japanese soldiers moved into the British settlement and interred all the Western settlers in China. This movie follows a young boys struggle to stay alive in the Japanese internment camps of occuppied China during WWII. It can be best described as very poignant instead of brutally honest like SPR or eye candy like AI. As for why it is so obscure, we all know how Speilberg makes popcorn flicks and how he uses the attention garnered from those movies to gain credibility for his more beloved projects. Empire of the Sun was one of the first of these movies and this is probably why it is so overlooked.
    ........Worth the 17 bucks.