Empire Ld Looked "live"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergio Z., Mar 22, 2003.

1. Sergio Z.

Sergio Z. Stunt Coordinator

I remember having rented (several times) a pan and scan laserdisc of The Empire Strikes Back way back when and it seemed to have a "live" feel to it. I'm not sure how to describe it but just wanted to see if anyone recalls this or has one of them to confirm. Does anyone know the specs as to how they mastered that ld vs. the other ones? It would have been the full screen version that came around the same the widescreen ones came out (top of the cover read something like Special Widescreen Edition with Fox lights under it).

2. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

If this was pan-and-scan, it must have been one the 1984 releases listed here.

My guess is you rented the CAV version, which would have looked noticably crisper compared to the CLV versions on some (low-end only?) laserdisc players. I know that my cheapo Pioneer player used to exhibit an easily discernible jump in picture quality when you slid in, say, the final, CAV, platter of an otherwise all-CLV set.

-bf-

3. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Perhaps he was talking about the time-compressed LD of Empire, which shoe-horned the film onto one disc, reducing it's running time to 118 minutes. Perhaps in the speed-up necessary to accomplish this, the disc took on a more "video like" frame-rate rather than the film based 24 fps with 3/2 pulldown we're all used to.

-Lyle J.P.