What's new

Emmy nominations announced (1 Viewer)

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Nicholas, Raymond did win 2 years ago.

I dont care as much on who wins or if my favroite shows wins but mostly on good nominations for each catagory. There are even shows that I personally do not like that I think deserves some nominations. Mostly for things like great writing but average acting, and great acting but terrible writing. I just felt that Lost, Housewives, The West Wing, Will&Grace, got way too many nominations. The Sopranos normally dominate in noms, which I'm glad did not qualify for any this year.

This has been a good network produced tv season, bad sitcom season... Bad independent production season as most everything seem to be made in house now. Damm I watch too much television...

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Yet again, the Emmy nominations reflect achievements from last year or even several years ago, and certainly do not reflect what happened on television during the 2004-2005 season. Will and Grace? Six Feet Under? The nominations for these shows are a joke, because both of them are well past their prime and have received very weak reviews for the past couple of seasons. And I say this as a former SFU fan.

One can quibble with the specific nominations for certain shows, but the complete lack of nominations for all WB and UPN shows, particularly The Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars, is really absurd. I don't understand how Lauren Graham can be overlooked year after year, but yet there are three actresses from DH that are considered "lead" actress. Graham is consistently one of the best actresses on TV, but she might as well be invisible to Emmy voters, who appear not to know that the WB and UPN exist. And Kristen Bell gave the most pitch-perfect performance as Veronica Mars, one of the most astonishing debut performances I've ever seen, and she carries the entire show on her shoulders, appearing in almost every scene. For anyone to suggest that Patricia Arquette deserved an acting nomination over Bell is ludicrous. Unless they have never seen either show.

At least Arrested Development was recognized, and Terry O'Quinn and Hugh Laurie. Considering how seldom Emmy voters ever nominate anyone in their debut season, these nominations are pleasant surprises.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Agree with your observations completely Cheryl, especially regarding GG and VM, my two favorite shows on network TV.

Rob

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Well, the Emmys are coming on shortly. Any last minute predictions? I'm thinking Lost for Drama Series and either Desperate Housewives or Arrested Development for Comedy Series.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to Brad Garrett and William Shatner so far (supporting actors for comedies and dramas, respectively).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
James Spader over Mcshane and Kiefer Sutherland the academy has it's head up it's collective a**.

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Lost for Best Drama :)
Everybody Loves Raymond for Best Comedy :frowning:
Patricia Arquette for Best Actress
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Overall a weird night.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The winners in the Acting categories were all pretty boring. I forgot the Emmys don't follow the whol Oscar thing where they try to award those that have already won. So this year we saw many of the same winners from last year. :frowning:

Oh well. I'm glad Lost won for drama. I haven't seen an episode of Desparate Housewives so I can't say whether it's a good show or not, but I can say I'm really sick of all the media attention it's been given. So I was glad to see it lose for Best Comedy (though it would've been great to see Arrested Development or Scrubs win). I was also glad to see Felicity Huffman win over her co-stars. She seems to be the one to get the least attention so it was nicer than seeing the others win. :)

I was also disappointed by the Office Special losing its two categories. :frowning:

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Dave my thoughts exactly. McShane or Keifer should have won. Also Glen Close was robbed and how Everybody loves raymond won best comedy shows how these award shows have become a joke

capt

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
This is one of the few years that I've actually watched the Emmys. Has it always been without transition music? It was weird watching the winners walking up to the stage with no music playing (with the exception of clips playing for some).

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
A.D. got robbed, but I did like with Mitch went up and poked fun at everyone "You know this is the second year in a row we've won this award for a show none of you watch." (loosely transcribed)
I was happy to see Kristen Bell at least there, and lending her (really good) vocal talents, even if it was a bit cheesy. I've had a crush on her for about 6 months now, which is when I started watching Veronica Mars. I liked that Aly Hannigan was the one to introduce the number.
Is there anyone else who wants to get Michael Shanks and James Spader side by side to see how much alike they really look? And not just Photoshopped pics but real life right next to each other.
Bill Shatner, over rated still. He was the only bright spot on Boston Legal, but the show stunk, not even Rene Auderjonois can save that show.
Scrubs got completely over looked, it had a really good year in year 4, it was the year that made me start watching, I liked the drama/comedy twist it went for, plus it should've won something just for "My Life in Four Cameras".
Sigh stupid award shows...

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
The Emmys are a waste of time..

The voters seem to have Raymond's, West Wing's and Sopranos' jockstraps in their mouth.

How Terry O'Quinn lost to Shatner for the best supporting actor, I don't know.

I'm glad I don't watch the show anymore and I'm even happier that Raymond is off the air.

I guess this means Will and Grace will win everything next year since they're done after this season.

Some of the choices make no sense at all.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
The Emmy voters do weird things.

Think about it...

Back during the time of both "Friends" and "Seinfeld," each only one the Emmy for Best Comedy Series once each.

"Friends" win was more of an afterthought. I mean...it didn't win until its 8th season and a number of the early seasons were very good.

"Seinfeld" won for its fourth season -- and never again -- even though Season 7 was when the show hit its creative peak.

Instead, Emmy voters gave the award to "Frasier" all of those years.

Shatner is good on "Boston Legal," but Terry O'Quinn really deserved the statue for his performance. He was the actor that took an ordinary disaster show and gave it that "creepy spiritual" vibe that it needed.

I get the sense that Emmy voters are a little older and more conservative than we might think.

Forget "Arrested Development" for a minute (it won for Best Comedy last year). How "Scrubs" has never won is beyond me.

I was glad that Felicity Huffman won for "Desperate Housewives" (yes, I watched every episode last season). However, I think that she won more as an "achievement" award for all the good work she has done on television over the last several years. She had a smaller role on the show.

I am glad that "The Amazing Race" won for best reality show because (in my opinion), it is the best reality show on television.

"Lost" is a very good show that deserved the Emmy. Personally, I'd like to see "24" win some year -- and this last season was very good.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I had some time to mull over why Everybody Loves Raymond won Best Comedy and I think the reason is simple: Emmy voters thought this show best fit this category for a win. I think the voters thought that Desperate Housewives was a bit of a stretch for this category.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Although I really dislike the "it's-their-final-bow-let's-give-it-to-them" vibe around Raymond's win, I'm glad that Housewives didn't win, thinking they would get a sneaky win by considering themselves a "comedy."
Again, I am bewildered by Shatner's win. I love that he is finally getting a little distance between himself and Captain Kirk, but-
Terry O'Quinn. He'll be back again next year, no doubt.
LOST. Good, but I enjoyed 24 last season more than the ultimate tease-for-season 2 that LOST started to feel like toward the end of their first time out of the gate.
Overall, who cares? The new season is now officially underway and we can all discuss/argue about the new shows rather than wonder why *insert name here* didn't win last night.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks