What's new

Emmy nominations announced (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The 2004-2005 Emmy nominations were announced today, available via an article on Variety's website.

With the exception of the disgraceful number of nominations for Will & Grace this year, I'm pretty happy with the choices. It's the only show that I feel doesn't belong in the Best Comedy Series category. Likewise, Jason Bateman, Zach Braff, Ray Romano, and Tony Shalhoub are all really solid choices for Best Actor, Comedy.
The Best Actor, Drama category doesn't have a bad one in the bunch. Hank Azaria, Hugh Laurie, Ian McShane, James Spader, and Kiefer Sutherland equals one hell of a line-up.
Best Actress, Comedy is naturally dominated by "Desperate Housewives", but I'm big fans of the other two nominees that squeaked through. Patricia Heaton was amazing on the series finale, especially when she thought Ray was dead. Jane Kaczmarek, like the rest of the cast, continues to blaze across the screen with energy and commitment even as the show falters more and more frequently.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
All I'm hoping for is "Arrested Development" to win over "Desperate Housewives." This is because it is not a comedy, and not to mention, I might be alone here, but I have never made it through an episode of that show, and believe me, I tried on several occasions to do so, but it just kills me to try and sit through it. Here's hoping for a second consecutive Emmy for "Arrested Development."

Otherwise, of the top nominees, it seemed like "Nip/Tuck" and "Rescue Me" were sadly overlooked, but those shows can live to fight another day too.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
None for Gilmore Girls is even more outrageous.

As big of a fan of the West Wing that I am, I personally would not have nominated it for anything big. It's getting nominations based on it's greatness from season 1-4. There were some outstanding stuff, but there was some really bad stuff, particularly 90 Miles Away.

Scrubs getting nominations thrilled me. It would have been awesome is John C. McGinley had been nominated.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see Lost getting 12 noms.

I see the only acting nods went to Naveen Andrews (Sayid) and Terry O'Quinn (Locke).

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Tyne Daly again and no Shoreh Agadashloo?

Only one nom for Without a Trace and nothing for NYPD Blue?

Only two acting noms for Lost?

The West Wing over House?

:angry:

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Nicolas Vargo, you wrote:

However, I wouldn't be surprised that Everybody Loves Raymond wins Best Comedy Series more or less as a "de facto" Series Achivement Award for its long run on CBS. And I think Emmy voters will probably vote that way, too.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
How is Desperate Housewives not a comedy? Its a multi-genre show just like Buffy was.

And I'm pulling for David Fury and Terry O'Quinn. Walkabout is the benchmark for good Lost episodes.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again (at least until they cancel it) do people actually still watch Will & Grace?! I find it hard to believe that this show still has the steam to garner this many nominations, but I quit watching it well before the Harry Connick Jr. episodes, and that seems like YEARS ago!!!

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

Have you seen Ian McShane in Deadwood? Or is your use of the word should in the "predictive" sense and not the "deserves to" sense. I can't see how anyone can match McShane's performance, although I admit that I haven't seen more than a scene or two of House. At least the Emmy voters have made up for their terrible oversight last year when McShane wasn't even nominated.

Brad

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, it's all a matter of personal opinion but I think that Ian McShane is gonna deservedly win by a landslide. And I think Lost (which I also love) has no business beating Deadwood for Best Drama but Lost will still win it.

To me, all award nominations USUALLY highlight really good work but the winners don't always tend to be the best. It's like all those AFI movie lists, you may not agree with the final ranking but the movies on the list are pretty damn good:)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Am I the only one pissed off that "Battlestar Galactica" wasn't nominated for a Best Drama Series award? That series is one of the best ones I've seen in a while.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I'm not too surprised about Battlestar Kevin, more SCI-FI relate shows tend not to get a whole lot of attention.

The WB and UPN didnt get much of anything, but that's no surprise. Just some technical noms for Enterprise for UPN, Reba and Smallville for the WB. WB's Gilmore Girls was a great improvement over previous seasons. UPN's Veronica Mars had some pretty good writing and outstanding production. West Wing? Will and Grace? 24 was only average, slightly better than previous seasons. There were many shows that were better deserving of those noms. I thought the story arc in Lost needed a bit more work, some of the noms for this series dont seem right to me. I agree, Ian McShane was great in Deadwood. I didn't like Raymond as much this year, Two and a Half Men got shafted. At least Scrubs got nominated for something. I'm glad CCH Pounder for The Shield got some respect, but this season was not her strongest.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I am astonished that Will and Grace is still on, let alone actually still being nominated, or having the highest number of nominations. And taking four out of the five slots for guest stars - is that just because it is loudest about its stunt casting of guests? It is impossible not to hear who is guesting on W&G in this season, while other shows never seem to make a big deal about it. (Hell, even The Simpsons is quieter about it).

I suspect The West Wing must just come pre-printed on the nominations form. It was a once-great show, but it hasn't been since Sorkin left. Stop nominating it out of habit.

The Housewives nomination is interesting. Haven't actually seen it yet (it starts here in NZ tomorrow), but when you do a comedy/drama split and give awards for both, you will always have problems when you start getting into the comedy-dramas. Housewives and Monk both fall into that category, and are classed as comedies. On the other hand, if they were to ever start nominating the wonderful Gilmore Girls (which of course they never will - shameful), that would definitely get a drama nomination, even though I consistently get more laughs each episode from that show than W&G has had in its entire run. Even Hugh Laurie's performance in House (otjherwise a serious drama) could be regarded at times as a comedic performance.

Glad about the nomination of Terry O'Quinn. Locke is one of the best, most fascinating characters on TV at the moment, and Terry's performance, particularly in the aforementioned Walkabout as well as Deus Ex Machina, is never less than perfect.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo

Good observation, Ray. The only problem with it is that "Frasier" should've gotten that due last year when it went off the air and it didn't. Then agian, because I don't follow the Emmys very often, I don't know if "Everybody Loves Raymond" has even won the Best Comedy Series once. If it hasn't, then I see where youre coming from.

Still, I'm gunning for "Arrested Development" if for anything because it's the only show nominated that I love to watch. As long as "Desperate Housewives" doesn't win, I'll be fine, but I still say the race is between these three, and that's only after I thought about it for a while.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm. I for one hope AD wins the comedy spot too, but I would actually be happy if people (viewers not critics obviously) start to notice the brilliance of this show this season too.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Don't bother - Desperate Housewives is the most overrated piece of crap for a long time. Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Personal opinion only and I still love all of you who think it's wonderful.

I agree with all the negative comments about Will and Grace. It was funny for about two seasons and then it didn't jump the shark, but instead got swallowed by the shark and then regurgitated in chunks - you recognise it from before, but it's no longer appealing. Just as The Simpsons clings to the pathetic belief that guest stars automatically = funny, ditto Will and Grace, but times ten. Again, personal opinions only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks