Emmitt Smith takes the record!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnE, Oct 27, 2002.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Man that was pretty cool to watch. I'm not a Dallas fan so I'm glad they lost, but, damn am I glad to see a guy like Emmitt break Paytons record. He's always been such a great competitor! I also thought he was very modest in his interviews after the game. Came across a reall classy guy. Cogratulations Emmitt!!![​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'm glad for Emmitt Smith, but Payton was still a heck of a running back. Consider the fact that he gained loads of yards while playing on lousy teams for many years. While Emmitt is a great running back, he had the luxury of playing on a great offensive unit for many years. In my opinion, Emmitt is a great back, but he certainly is not the best of all-time, which the record might suggest to some folks. If Barry Sanders were still playing, we would not be talking about Emmitt Smith as the all-time rushing leader. Of course, had Jim Brown not retired early, we might not be talking about Sanders either. [​IMG]

3. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Emmitt Smith isn't half the running back Walter Payton was, who did it in less years, and with MUCH more style.

4. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Yeah I wish Barry Sanders hadn't retired! He is one of my top five favorite players ever. I was just blown away when he up and called it quits.

Emmitt may be no Walter Payton, but you can't take away what he accomplished. I've always thought of the guy as a bull. He just smashes through defenders. Not much style for sure, but damn effective!

5. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

6. Rich Romero

Isn't it opinion?

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Rich, though I agree with your opinion on Walter Payton, I think you're wrong on one thing. Walter Payton played from 1975-1987 (13 years - 190 games) and Emmitt Smith has played from 1990-2002 (13 years - 193 games).
    Emmitt has always struck me as a "me" player, which regrettably is more commonplace in today's sports. His rambling on after the game about how he's not concerned with breaking records and all just showed me his hypocrisy. Anyone who keeps every TD ball and time he breaks a significant number of yards is definitely "concerned".
    It is a damn shame that Barry Sanders retired however.
    The good (and ironic) thing is, the Cowboys lost. [​IMG]

8. Rich Romero

Exactly. Emmitt has been quoted throughout his entire career that his main goal was to break Payton's record. Seems like his priorities were a little off.

9. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Gosh, it just wouldn't be a Cowboy's thread without the negative commentary from the 'Boys haters.

The venting in this thread isn't going to change the fact that Emmitt Smith is now the all-time leading rusher in the NFL. Jerome Bettis, Curtis Martin, and Marshall Faulk are the only active players who are in the top 20 list for career rushing besides Emmitt and they are all at least 5,000 yds. behind his record 16,743 yds. So get used to the fact that he is going to hold the record for a number of years. Congrats Mr. Smith!

- Walter.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rich said:

11. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Yes. Congratulations Emmitt![​IMG]
    Just like wild animals, it always seems that Cowboy haters roam in packs. Why can't people just give credit where credit is due and move on. I love going back and forth w/ Cowboy haters - heck, it's part of the fun of being a Cowboy fan. When Payton broke Jim Brown's record, there were some who piled on Payton, and were vocal about the fact that he didn't deserve it the title, and that Brown was the much better back. Whoever breaks Emmitt's record will be subjected to the same criticism.
    ***A note to all of you Cowboy/E. Smith haters: Barry Sanders (of which I also was a fan) retired. Quit living in the past, and GET OVER IT!. Becoming the all-time rushing leader is no cake walk regardless of how talented or un-talented your supporting cast is. There are scores of other backs, who, if in Emmitt's position couldn't have achieved what he did.
    And finally, Emmitt and Payton were close friends. Payton, before he died, entrusted Emmitt w/ looking out for his son. Emmitt has the full support of Payton's entire family - as a matter of fact, they were all there in attendance to see Emmitt break the record. So there is no bitterness w/ the family of seeing the record fall.
    In conclusion, props to Emmitt!!! And go Cowboys!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Wow! This got vociferous and vocal quickly. As a lifelong Cowboys fan, yesterday's game was a great moment. I am surprised the venom with which some fans hold this SPORTS TEAM to spread to a player who has proven completely selfless over his career. I could cite hundreds of examples, but why bother? My view is apparently completely skewed based on my team loyalty...how junior-high.
    You can talk about Barry all you want (1590+ yards in TEN seasons? Holy shite!) - it broke my heart when he retired as well. He could have broken 20,000 yards by now. But he didn't. He didn't. And neither did Jim Brown (who was also a football god) Believe it or not, Emmitt saw as much early punishment as Walter, if not more. He played 2 or 3 extra games a year (and dominated them against great defenses) early on, thanks to the Cowboys success. This record wasn't about selfishness or talent, but simply determination and desire. It flies in the face of a "selfish attitude". The teammates and friends who were there show what type of player Emmitt was, regardless of anyone's "opinion".
    This takes nothing away from any other person on the list of the greats. Walter is Walter. But Emmitt is Emmitt. Who else dominated in PLAYOFF games with such regularity?
    Many may have opinions opposed to Emmitt, thanks in part due to a dislike of the Cowboys. But calling him names or demeaning his record is petty. It's HIS record. HIS name. HIS trip to the Hall of Fame. HIS three championships. HIS FOUR rushing titles (which all came while Barry WAS playing). HIS 16,743 yards in the REGULAR season, which no man can match.
    Take care,
    Chuck

13. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

As much as I dislike the Dallas Cowboys; hats off to Emmitt Smith. All that's left for him is first-ballot Hall of Fame.

By the way; when did Dallas switch to Field-Turf?

14. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    It's really a shame to come into this thread and see the Emmitt-bashing. Emmitt's record takes nothing away from Walter Payton, just as when "Sweetness" set the record 18 years ago it took nothing away from Jim Brown. There was and always will be only one Jim Brown, one Gale Sayers, one Barry Sanders, one Walter Payton. And, yes, there is and always will be only one Emmitt Smith. Eventually someone will break his record as well, but he will be forever enshrined as one of the greats.

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

16. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

17. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

While I am not a Cowboys or Emmitt Smith fan, I do respect the way Emmitt played (except for all the mugging for the camera). He has played hurt many times -- I can remember him playing against the Giants with a separated shoulder.

I do not think Smith is the greatest running back ever to play in the NFL, despite the numbers. I would rank Jim Brown, Payton, and Sanders above him, and would place many others at an equal level (Earl Campbell, Franco Harris, Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett and even O.J. come to mind).

I do give the guy credit for putting up some impressive numbers. While Barry Sanders could have broken the record easily and put it out of reach for quite some time, he failed to do so.

19. Ray Suarez

Ray Suarez Stunt Coordinator

Congratulations Emmitt!!

Too bad there are those who would take this opportunity (thread fart, hijack etc) to fulfll their need to bash the Cowboys by knocking E. Smith.

The comments above would suggest to some that E. Smith is not a class act, he is only concerned about "me" and a hypocrite. I know these are your opinions and you are free to believe as you will, however these are certainly not attributes that most people(cowboy and non-cowboy fan alike) use to describe E. Smith.

It's true that Emmitt, during or before his rookie year, wrote down on a piece of paper that he wanted to end his career with the most rushing yards. And you know when this piece of info came to light? THIS YEAR! He kept this goal to himself all these years as a personal motivator. He never yelled at his coach to give him the "damn ball" or required the "Randy ratio" to help him amass yards. You have to admire the fact that someone who was thought to be too slow or too small to make it in the NFL had enough self confidence to set such a lofty goal and enough will to acheive it. Please do not lump him in with today's crop of selfish, style-over-substance players. He was the consummate team player. This record is a testament to his heart and determination.

Finally, Emmitt is not only an example of a good football player but a fine human being. He steered his way clear of the embarrassing and criminal behavior of several Cowboys teammates in the 90s. He kept a promise to his mother by returning to school to get his college diploma in 1997. He was given the NFL Alumni award for his work with the Sickle Cell Association of America, the first-ever congressional Freedom Works Award, the Spirit of Sweetness Award and has fed 1000s of people through Emmitt Smith Charities. As already mentioned above, one of his greatest recent honors was Walter Payton asking him to look over his son Jarrett when he was gone.

Sorry for the rambling...but I felt like I had to voice "my" opinion.

For all Anti-Cowboys fans how about I start another thread, like "Michael Irvin, greatest of all time?". You can rake me over the coals there and we can leave Emmitt to enjoy his day in the sun? :wink:

20. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Wow! Its amazing how so many Dallas haters still linger even though they have been in re-building mode for several years now. But we all know were this hatred comes from their jealousy of Dallas winning 3 Super Bowls in 4 years.

When it comes to breaking a rushing record I think many of you are forgetting how difficult it is for most good running backs to play for more than a few years because of the physical beating they take. Emmit got this record through hard work and persevering and he has had to continue doing this for the last 4 years without the help of a good offensive line so he didn't do this because of a front line. Emmit has always been one of the class players of Dallas and he was never a "me" player he is a team player. If he was a me player he would have asked to be traded from Dallas years ago when they went downhill. Team players score touchdowns and get 3rd downs for the team something Mr. Sanders was never good at nor did he ever appear to care.
    Barry Sanders was a great Runner but not that good of a "Running Back" because he was a "me" player. He never helped the team by scoring touchdowns and converting on 3rd down he only cared about his own records. A typical Barry Sanders game was -1 yard, 2 yards, -5 yards, 8 yards, 70 yards, -4 yards. He always ran backwards hoping to get that big run not caring that all the lost yards and plays cost his team the game. Running backs should run forward and not backwards right? He always got that one or two 40-70 yard play that gave him his good #'s but he was not a good every down back. Barry would definitely not have gotten the record because he showed he was a quitter and quitters don't have the endurance or the heart to stick it out. He claimed he quit because he wanted to get married and then quickly changed that to I want to be traded to a good team and screw the Lions out of bonus money. Well even when the Lions changed the next year and said they would trade him he still wouldn't come back, he wouldn't because he was a quitter and he was strickly a me player. So no Barry would not have gotten the record because he lacked heart and was a quitter.
    Congratulations to Emmit a real class act.