What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is there a region A Blu-ray release of the Paltrow Emma??

My Oppo 203 is modded for all-region...but I would think a Region A release would be easier (and cheaper) to come by.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

My Oppo 203 is modded for all-region...but I would think a Region A release would be easier (and cheaper) to come by.

I searched for one and found no evidence of one. Cheapest copies on eBay go for about $20 shipped - dunno how good/bad/whatever they are!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The Paltrow version is a Miramax title, so who knows which studio currently holds the rights.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nope! :D

There must be some other serious cinematic attempts at Emma, I would think?
I would argue that Clueless actually is a serious cinematic attempt at Emma, albeit translated to the very specific world of mid-nineties teenage Beverly Hills one-percenters. It's a satire of both entitled rich kids and the teen movie genre itself, but one where the characters are in on the joke.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
I was really looking forward to this version.The film looks great, probably one of the most beautiful productions that has ever been done of it. But I soon realized that the lead actress was lacking in the charisma and star-power needed to maintain interest...

Not only that. I also found her extremely irritating. :huh:

I finally got around to watching this last night, but I must confess that I gave up after about 40 minutes. It is indeed beautiful to look at, but neither Emma nor her Mr. Knightley are up to the standard of what has gone before. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
This Emma is terrific. No time for Paltrow- she alone would cancel me from every viewing it. Go for this one. Watched it on a sale at iTunes as a rental 2.5 X during quarantine and decided to buy it. The lead is excellent and Miranda steals every scene she’s in. Plus the cinematography is sublime.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I would say this decides it for me. I'll give the latest Emma a miss. Re the Paltrow version, I agree that the supporting cast are terrific.
So if the lead Paltrow sucks then why watch it no matter how good the supporting cast is? This Emma lead is great - she has the right amount of whatever you want to call it- makes it work. Try it.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
The Australian Blu-ray pressing of the Paltrow Emma is all-regions. I just tested it on my A-region player and it plays OK.
To Noel, the Paltrow version doesn't suck. It's just that I prefer the Garai. However, I'm not getting good vibes about the latest version.

JoeStemme

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joseph
Genial update on Jane Austen's sturdy novel. Autumn De Wilde's version maintains a fairly light tone throughout, but, Eleanor Catton's screenplay adaptation has a few moments of bite. Some of the humor verges on anachronistic, but, it's mostly on par. The only major shift here is mostly on emphasizing the BFF aspect between Emma (Anya Taylor-Joy) and Harriet (Letty Thomas) and giving a more modern view of class.
Taylor-Joy's Emma wears a mischievous smirk throughout and is front and center. The male suitors are mainly treated as plot necessities, but, Johnny Flynn impresses as Mr. Knightley. Bill Nighy is a screen treasure and has a few moments of his patented dry humor, but is, overall, under-utilized. The central role in this telling is really Harriet, and Thomas gives her a humble modesty combined with a bit of grit. She steals the movie.
EMMA. is well designed and produced (although the cinematography falters occasionally). It's isn't the definitive version, but, quite a likable addition to the Austen filmmography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks