Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The latest film adaptation of Jane Austen’s satire on societal roles, Emma, arrives on Blu-ray after a brief theatrical run (due to the COVID-19 pandemic) and pay per view window.

Emma. (2020)

Released: 06 Mar 2020
Rated: PG
Runtime: 124 min

Director: Autumn de Wilde
Genre: Comedy, Drama

Cast: Anya Taylor-Joy, Angus Imrie, Letty Thomas, Gemma Whelan
Writer(s): Eleanor Catton (screenplay by), Jane Austen (based on the novel by)

Plot: In 1800s England, a well meaning but selfish young woman meddles in the love lives of her friends.

IMDB rating: 6.8
MetaScore: 71

Disc Information

Studio: Universal
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1...
Continue reading...

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I saw this film in the cinema the weekend before all of them closed due to Covid. Didn't love Anya Taylor-Joy as Emma (Romola Garai is still my favourite), but this film is a sumptuous feast for the eyes. I bought the 4K digital on iTunes.

Reactions: nara

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I saw this film in the cinema the weekend before all of them closed due to Covid. Didn't love Anya Taylor-Joy as Emma (Romola Garai is still my favourite), but this film is a sumptuous feast for the eyes.
One of the deleted scenes includes Taylor-Joy in a semi-translucent nightie. That's a feast for the eyes! :D

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I just posted these thoughts in the "Daily Viewing" thread. Should have put them here first.

=========

Both Peg and I--going in--realized neither one of us knew anything about this particular Austen tale.

We both enjoyed this particular film. We've never seen another based on the story. For one thing, it was absolutely beautiful. And quite colorful. But did I mention how beautiful it was?!? :D Just gorgeous. When it was done it seemed like you could count the number of times the camera panned right or left on one hand.

I kept having this weird thing happen. Whenever Anya Taylor-Joy was onscreen, I kept thinking that the actress who played Emma should have been Lily James. Don't get me wrong. Anya Taylor-Joy was terrific in the role. I just kept expecting to see Lily James. I can't explain it. :rolleyes:

It's too bad it wasn't released in 4k. Oh. And the music was terrific. Outside of the score, the vocal interludes were used in an edgy and innovative way to bridge scenes. It was very interesting and effective.

We are both looking forward to revisiting it (not in a La La Land way, mind you :D )...but, soon!

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
Nope! :D

There must be some other serious cinematic attempts at Emma, I would think?

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I kept having this weird thing happen. Whenever Anya Taylor-Joy was onscreen, I kept thinking that the actress who played Emma should have been Lily James. Don't get me wrong. Anya Taylor-Joy was terrific in the role. I just kept expecting to see Lily James. I can't explain it. :rolleyes:
I hadn't considered Lily James in the title role, but now that you mention it, I think she would be have been great! Perhaps a bit too mature for the role now, but she always brings a youthful vivacity to the roles she plays, so no one probably would have noticed that discrepancy.

If you enjoyed the story, definitely check out the 2009 BBC adaptation with Romola Garai, who I think is the ideal Emma, even if she doesn't exactly portray her the way Austen wrote the character. The one with Paltrow is pretty good, and there's another TV adaptation Kate Beckinsale, which I'm not sure I've actually seen, but it's in HD on iTunes.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I hadn't considered Lily James in the title role, but now that you mention it, I think she would be have been great! Perhaps a bit too mature for the role now, but she always brings a youthful vivacity to the roles she plays, so no one probably would have noticed that discrepancy.
Perhaps, but Emma's supposed to be 20, and James would've been 30 during the shoot. That's an awfully big difference - not Stockard Channing in "Grease" big, but still a leap.

Taylor-Joy was 23 during production, so much closer in age...

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Ken S-B
I have the Kate Beckinsale, the Gwyneth Paltrow, and the Ramola Garai Blu-rays. (I prefer the Garai.) Can someone please tell me if I need the latest version?

AnthonyClarke

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Anthony
I have the Kate Beckinsale and Ramola Garai versions. My preference is for the Beckinsale.
Of all the adaptations of Austen, my absolute favourite is 'Persuasion' with Amanda Root and Cieran Hynds. That is really worth seeking out. Amanda Root is so special in this, with tangible vulnerability.

Reactions: nara

nara

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Hugh
Of all the adaptations of Austen, my absolute favourite is 'Persuasion' with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hynds. That is really worth seeking out. Amanda Root is so special in this, with tangible vulnerability.
In my book, this is by far the best Jane Austen adaptation ever made. As you say, Amanda Root is superb.

8.1 on imdb says it all.

Reactions: AnthonyClarke

Mark Mayes

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I was really looking forward to this version.The film looks great, probably one of the most beautiful productions that has ever been done of it. But I soon realized that the lead actress was lacking in the charisma and star-power needed to maintain interest. I like the Gwyneth Paltrow version best. She had real chemistry with Jeremy Northam--with Alan Cumming, Toni Collete, Greta Scacchi and Ewan MacGregor as terrific support...(Kathleen Byron, yet!) And the score from that was sublime.

The pacing here was dreadful. I so wanted to like it.

Reactions: OLDTIMER

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derpok