1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

EMI to possibly sell Abbey Road Studios in debt recovery

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Another reason to hate Mariah Carey...
    Along with selling a 43% share in HMV, EMI may be selling the historic Abbey Road Studios where the Beatles recorded the majority of their historic music.
    EMI's debt sits at £1.1 billion, which includes the £19 million payoff to Mariah Carey to cancel her £70 million contract.
    Read more here...

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Ugh.

Sad, but kind of serves these record companies right to let audacious contracts like Carey's go ahead. If Abbey Road must be sold, I hope it is to a non-bubblegum-pop label.

BTW Keith, how are things in the "Queen City"? I lived there during my late-elementary and high school years.

-JNS

3. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Frankly I can't see this happening. Abbey Road Studios is practically a landmark both physically (how many other studios have gift shops?) and musically. EMI would be foolish to let that place go. Better to lay off a few VPs...

-paul