What's new

EMI in talks to purchase Warner Bros. Music (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Do these 'entry-level' (I don't like saying low-budget as it implies low quality, which is not always the case) players have full bass management?
I'll continue this drumbeat until someone finally corrects or confirms me...

...there is no player, at any price, with "full bass management", if by that you mean bass management that doesn't also significantly degrade the sound quality of your music.

So, the answer is "no". But that applies equally to "non entry level" players.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I haven't, Michael! Are you suggesting that it'll do bass management without corrupting the sound quality?

BTW, please understand that I'm not referring to the inapt 120Hz crossover point - though that certainly isn't "full bass management" by any standard - but rather to the distinct difference I hear when the bm circuitry is engaged, even when running all channels as "full range" in bass management mode. Am I the only one hearing this?

Also, on my C555ES, I have to level match between a non-bm'd and a bm'd source (the non-bm'd is louder). But I've got a Radio Shack SPL meter, and I still hear degradation of sound when the levels are matched, that is, I'm not being fooled that "louder is better".

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I hear when the bm circuitry is engaged, even when running all channels as "full range" in bass management mode. Am I the only one hearing this?
I am not sure how Sony implemets BM, but I wonder if they do DSD->PCM conversion to accomplish the feat similar to what Pioneer does on their players/receivers. This is an unacceptable compromise in my book. Once you go to PCM, you are doing away with the simplicity and most of the benefits of DSD. Like you Rich, I leave all BM off.

J

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

I'm pretty sure that those over at AVS who have listened and inspected the designs of the 47Ai and S2300 do not believe that the DSD is converted to PCM for bass management on these new models.

In addition, quality is getting good marks. Here's a quote from Robert George (double hearsay):

The Yamaha is a superior audio machine for CD and DVD-A over the Denon, and of course there is a separate signal path for the SACD part of the Yamaha which has been favorably compared to the $1400 Sony 9000 and has been said to exceed the $1000 Sony 999ES for SACD playback by at least one person who has compared them directly.
I believe one drawback is that you don't get time alignment for SACD.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... interesting. Although I've solved my BM problems with the ICBM-1 (which does quite a bit more than I expected, and deserves every accolade it's received IMO), I'd love to know more!

As for time alignment, I haven't come across any bass management, onboard digital or analog, that does this. I simply employed the ultimate "analog" solution: equidistant placement of all speakers!

But are you saying that you do get time alignment for DVD-A on these players?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

My understanding is there is DVD-A time alignment in these players. I haven't read all the threads, but I think I remember that.

I want to demo a 2300 in my home but they are in shortage. It's just as well since I'm doing some renovation in the theater room for the next few weeks. I'll get ahold of one within a month or two.

Brian E

Screenwriter
All this talk about no cheap SACD players is simply bullsh*t. And current low priced offerings are available at Crutchfield and my local Best Buy.
What, one DVD player that also does SACD? That's all the Best Buy near me carries since Sony discontinued the dedicated SACD player they had. Big selection.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The only hi-res players I personally know of that do bass management AND time alignment for hi-res audio are two dvd-audio players from Denon: the DVD-9000 ($3500) and the DVD-3800 ($1200).

Here is the pertinent description for the 9000 (from Denon's site, http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=4):

• Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio, featuring Analog Devices 32-bit processor; 80Hz crossover with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time(0-15ms)
Maybe these processors are very expensive right now?

LJ

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the biggest player in the world of music (Universal) looks to be put on the block.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo...12AD155 3F%7D

We'd better hope a Mr. Potter doesn't start scooping up all the plots in Bedford Falls. The US gov might bring anti-trust charges but, say a foreign entity purchases Universal from Vivendi, buys EMI then Warner, sets up shop outside the US... Scary thought.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
This is the sort of thing I was on about before all the SACD/DVD-A stuff crashed the party. This is what to worry about, not which of the hi-rez formats is floundering the least.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
There was an article on yesterday's Hong Kong edition of Yahoo! News that mentioned the management team at HK Warner Bros. has resigned. The incoming management team is from HK EMI. I can not get to HK Yahoo! from work, but I will proviode a link to this post at a later time.

Don't know if this means anything though....

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well I don't agree as Super Audio has some strong momentum right now with Dark Side of The Moon.
hmmm yeah it is an unstoppable freight train. infact it is unstoppable thats why they were so willing to let people know that the rolling stones albums were SACD's, yeah cause hey they had that marketing plastered all over the label side of the disc in those small letters.

even the people making the discs dont really believe in them, they arent going out ringing the bells saying we have the next best thign here.

DVD-A is just as bad really they should be out there promoting the hell out of it

John-Miles

Screenwriter
there is time allignment on the S2300 for dvd-a at elast not for sacd

nope good day snow storm so i got off work early. but i took so long to respond cause i read this thread the other day but never had time to finish it or respond

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks