What's new

EMI hybrid SACD format labels (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The CD logo appears nowhere on the disc. Instead of CD it sez, "PCM and DSD stereo layers..." It seems kind'a disingenuous to basically disclaim CD compatibility by changing the name to PCM? BTW, this is the language on the new Bowie SACD's. It just seems strange to me.

cwhite

Second Unit
It may be an issue that the disc does not meet the requirements of the CD "Red Book" standards. This topic has come up before and I'm sure others can speak to it better than me.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Rachael, which disc? I bought "Scary Monsters" yesterday as I found it in the regular CD section of Circuit City (was the only one they had and one copy of it). The CD (compact disc) logo appears in the spine insert which says 'Super Audio CD' in the middle and has the SACD logo on the top and the CD logo at the bottom. The logos also appear on the disc itself and the liner notes only has the SACD logo.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Phil, I found the logo on the disc itself, ZIGGY STARDUST, it was in the player when I was looking for the logo last night. I stille can't find it anyplace other than the disc. One would expect to find it on the exterior packaging, someplace, well I would, anyway. Especially with all the non-Red Book discs that have slithered into the marketplace recently, I look for the logo. I have LET'S DANCE and SCARY MONSTERS too and same situation with them too, can't find it on the outside. :)

PhilBoy

Second Unit
formats... formats... formats...

I've got the Bowie Sound & Vision cd set (too cool packaging) that contains a 'video cd'.

I don't think the 'video' disc is even playable on this planet.

Maybe there is a Ryko player locked up in Area 51.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
My copy of "Scary Monsters" has a "Made in Holland" sticker on the back and on the bottom of the spine insert has the CD logo (as noted the top has the SACD one). I have not seen the other discs yet.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up all three new Bowie sacd's as well as the new domestic release of Roxy's Avalon this past Tuesday. All four sport the cd logo on the tray insert where it extends into the spine and all have the cd logo on the disc itself. Avalon is the only one of the four to also have the logo emblazoned on the back. Avalon is also the only disc to tout its hdcd logo on the back. Incidentally, all four discs have the "made in Holland" sticker slapped on'em.

Jimmy- who still needs the Frantic sacd, Aerosmith's Toys sacd and is anxiously awaiting the multi-channel sacd of Ferry's Mamouna (wishful thinking)- Nugent

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Thanks Larry... I have a buddy that has a newer laserdisc player. I'll have her give it a spin.

CD-V... VCD. I think that reinforces my format comment.

... sorry Rachael B. dint mean to swipe your thread.
carry on.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Phil, I finally spotted the logo in the hollow of the spine. I was looking on the edge. It's not so prominent and you'd think it'd be right there with the DSD and SACD logos? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks