EMERGENCY, problem with PT47WX49!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Moon, May 19, 2002.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

This is a weird one. My less than 2 weeks old panny was left on all night last night by a guest. THey say the sleep timer was set, and the other components were off all night, so I believe them on that. But when I woke up this morn at 6.30 AM I discovered that the TV was on all night long. For a maximum of five hours with the same picture on the screen. Now the screen was all black, so I was not incredibly scared about burn in, but now everything on the screen has a reddish tint to it.

Was this caused by the static black screen being on for five or less hours straight, or did one of the guns go bad.

If it is a bad gun I owe a huge apology to my friend for blasting them for ruining my new TV, even though I can still return it.

I need to know what the problem could be.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Being left on all night with the screen showing solid black really should not mess it up.
    Did you say that now even black subject matter has a not so dim red tinge, greens appear yellowish, blues appear pink (magenta)? If this is so you should get a serviceman in to make adjustments and if this can't be scheduled soon, return the set.
    If it is just a faint red tinge in dark areas, try reducing the brightness. Later you can think about tweaking things in service mode.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Sounds like the infamous Panny Pop occurred. You will have to manually correct for this with the screen trimpots or thru the service menu with the red cut.

You will likely have the green and blue pops occurring in short order ...

Regards

4. Sean Moon

Ummm...the panny pops? What is this? Never heard of it.

After hearing wonderful stuff about this set for ages now after I get one I hear bad stuff. I was going to exchange it for a new set, same model and everything, but this is giving me second thoughts. Should I get a new set of the same model or ditch the panny and go for another brand?

Exchange or maybe wait for the other pops then correct em?

Help!

5. Sean Moon

OK....went to Panny.tv and found the evil pop section.

Does this happen often, or only once per gun when the set is kinda new?

If it is common, I want a differnet TV.

If the fix is as easy as they say, I might do it tonight.

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It seems to be a break in issue. IT happens at most one time ... to each gun ...

Happened to my set too in the first month, but only on the red gun.

Rock solid ever since.

A minor annoyance ... and once you are past the hurdle, it is smooth sailing with wonderful images.

Regards

7. Sean Moon

SO...I just tried getting the speaker harness off the front of the set, it is pretty secure, I am trying not to use much force.

Is this common on lots of the Panny's? I dont like it, having to go into the guts and tweak it.

8. Sean Moon

OK...went into the service menu and fixed the problem. Maybe I am just overly paranoid, but I still feel like it is still there, the reds laughing at me. Maybe I am trying to find the mistakes.

Is the service menu fix as good or worse than actually opening the cabinet and tweaking the guns, because I really dont want to do that yet.

9. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I did my corrections in the service menu and have had no problems.

The only time to worry is if you run out of range in the service menu ... then you have to go to the pots directly.

Regards

10. Sean Moon

Cool, glad to hear it. Much better mood now after being pissed about a broken set all day yesterday. Almost feel like the set is better now for it.

11. Sean Moon

Well, I just got my Avia disc and was looking at a color chart when another pop happened. Dont know what gun it was yet. Took about 12 hrs for the red gun to show its ugly side after the pop, so I will have to wait. It was just like last time, I heard a pop and the screen flickered for less than half a second. It looks fine now, but I am going to wait to see which gun popped.

So it should only happen once per gun? I hope it only does.

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What is the Panny PT47 like with regular cable?

What do you do with non-anamorphic DVD's and Laserdiscs?

How do you ZOOM in on the 16:9?

13. Sean Moon

Regular cable looks good, but poor next to progressive DVDs. I am using S-Video to hook cable up. The image is good but nothing to show off. Any large RPTV will make an interlaced cable signal look weak next to a DVD, it is just inherent to the format.

Non anamorphic DVDs or games are fixed by using a scaling DVD player(look at the other thread you posted in Chris, I put a response on that one) and Games I either zoom or use the Just mode. The minor distortion on games and cable in just mode doesnt bother me that much. The only things I refuse to distort are films.