-EMERGENCY - Need info on AMPS - Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ped, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

I don't know crap about amps. Never owned one. However, I've been planning to build my own sub so now I need one. (see the dilemma?). I was on Ebay just now and saw a Pyramid PA-800X Amp there going to $123. Has ANYONE heard of this brand before? The amp I need needs to power the dual voice coils in the Tempest sub (400W a peice). The price seems so damn low compared to others I had looked at with the same power. Some pllleeaaassee help me, I feel like a lost child in K-mart. Also, whats the difference between an intergrated amp, pre-amp and all those other types of amps. What type do I need to power my sub? (BTW I have a 110 Watt/channel receiver just in case you needed to know) Please help, the auction ends in 23 hours.
    Thanx,
    Mike
    P.S. Heres the specs on the Pyramid amp just in case
    Professional Component Amplifier
    400 Watts x 2 into 8 Ohms (2 x 125 Watts RMS)
    800 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
    THD Better Than 0.05%
    4 Speaker Connection via Banana Plugs
    Channel A B Selector
    Dual RCA and Dual 0.25" Phone Inputs
    Dual Illuminated VU Meter
    Meter Range Switch
    Separate Volume Control for Each Channel
    LED Clipping Indicator
    110/220 Voltage Selector
    Heavy Duty Fan Cooled Aluminum Heatsinks
    Switched AC Accessory Outlet
    Rack Mountable with Handles
    Power On/Off Switch
    For Use with All Mixers, PA Equipment, Home Audio
    Dimension: 19"W x 5 1/8"H x 13"D

2. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I can't comment on that particular brand but I have an older Hafler Pro-505 commerical/PA/DJ type of amp powering my SVS and it seems to do just fine. I have seen that brand that you are describing on E-Bay and I have asked several people about them but no one I know has had any experience with them.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I would also want to know what the freq response is (and +/-). And I'd also be interested in what "class" it is. A, B, AB, H, whatever...
    A wise man once wrote, that you couldn't do much worse than if you bought an amp based on weight. Build construction quality, transformer size, power supply, the big capacitor thing [​IMG] etc.
    I would say that for 400w into 2 channels at 8 ohms, should weigh at least hmmm, errr, ... 40 lbs. More is better.
    ------------------

4. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Doh I forgot to answer some of your other questions too.
    Power Amp - Drives your speakers, usally with only one set of line lvl inputs (although with the advent of home theater there are ones that have 5 inputs)
    Pre-Amp - Basically a powered high quality switchbox and volume control that may or may not have sound processing included. You would run your CD, DVD, tape deck etc into this box and then out to a power amplifer
    Integrated Amp - A power amp with the pre-amp built in. Usually they don't include a tuner (radio)
    Receiver - Integrated amp plus a radio
    Also the RMS value is normally the value that you want to use to compare wattage. The amp you list only puts out 125W/channel/8 ohms RMS. My Hafler puts out 255W/channel/8 ohms RMS and 400w/channel/4 ohms RMS or 800w/bridged/4 ohms RMS so it is about twice as powerful as the amp you are describing if you look at the RMS values. And yes it does weigh about 50 pounds :)
    EDIT - The SVS webpage has the specs for a Sampson power amp. You could use those specs as something to shoot for in a good supwoofer amp.
    Hope this helps,
    [Edited last by Jeff Savage on August 28, 2001 at 09:20 AM]