EMERGENCY! in more ways than one!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JeffCNY, Nov 22, 2005.

1. JeffCNY

JeffCNY Agent

Encouraging as the news is that Universal will actually be letting the second season of EMERGENCY! out of the vaults and onto DVD, it's mildly alarming to note that no mention has been made of second seasons for either DRAGNET or ADAM-12, both of which were released at the same time the first season of EMERGENCY was.

Will these be yet two more shows that Universal abandons after one season? Sure looks like it.

Damn!!!

[​IMG]

2. Barbara.G

Barbara.G Stunt Coordinator

I am waiting for Adam-12 and Dragnet! Come on universal; where are they?

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I'm waiting for all three as well as more Quincy.

4. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I am in for all 3 if they play. [​IMG]

5. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

I agree, both the Adam-12 and Dragnet 1967 second seasons would be a welcome addition to my collection on 2/7 as well!

6. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

I've already added "Baretta" to that list as well.

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Add Baa Baa Black Sheep and SWAT(I know different studio).

8. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

"Kojak" is another Universal release that I'm hoping will not be a part of the "one and done" syndrome. Glad that season 2 of "Emergency!" is on the way and hopefully we'll see more "Dragnet" and "Adam-12." Jack Webb sure knew how to make an entertaining (and informative) television show.

9. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Usually Universal releases boxsets three at a time. There
    are a lot of cop shows that Universal has started. As has been mentioned, Adam-12 and Dragnet. Add Columbo, McCloud,
    McMillan and Wife and you have a lot of cop shows that need attention. Then you add the semi-cop shows like Quincy and the coming Rockford files and its apparent Universal has a lot of oars in the water.

10. Tony S

Tony S Stunt Coordinator

I wish they would finish all of these shows so they can get to Voyagers, BJ & the Bear, and Sheriff Lobo.

11. JeffCNY

JeffCNY Agent

"One and done" syndrome more or less sums it up. It's not impossible to imagine that first season sets are used as sales indicators, and if sales fall short of expectation, well... it's over and done with.

Safe to assume that "Baretta" is a dead issue by now, along with the two remaining seasons of "Starsky & Hutch," and if no announcement is made in regards to the second season of "Kojak" within a month or two, we have three more entries for the "TV Show One & Done Memorial Cemetery."

Make room at the cemetery for ADAM-12 and DRAGNET too, fellas!

Laughable that the studios still make grandiose release announcements about long, long running shows like "Hawaii 5-O" which will be lucky if it sees anything more than the first season hitting the shelves.

12. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Makes me think that their sales expectations were out of whack with reality. This "If it's not a blockbuster, screw it" mentality is choking off a lot of good releases.

13. Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch Stunt Coordinator

Lutz
    There is only one season of STARSKY & HUTCH (the 4th) still unreleased in R1, and it has already been released in R2. So I don't think you'll have to worry about that one, it will show up in R1 sooner or later.

14. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Are we to assume that every series has flopped? Columbo is not a one season show yet nothing has been heard about another season. I just think Universal is showing a lack of a plan and just haphazard management.

15. JeffCNY

JeffCNY Agent

COLUMBO is ahead of the game, with (I believe) three seasons available at this point.

What Universal (and others) are not taking into consideration is the fact that even the most loyal fans of a particular show might not be enthusiastic about a show's first season, since (usually) a long running series often doesn't begin to hit it's stride until the second... and sometimes even third, season.

Glad to hear that we just might see the finish of the STARSKY & HUTCH saga with the pending release of Season 4. Would have been nothing short of cruel to cut it short so close to it's natural completion.

What I'd like to see is some sort of honest commitment from the studios on the order of MPI's release of DARK SHADOWS, which has loyally released >every< episode from the series on a regular basis, even though it's likely sales of the latter sets won't begin to match the earlier releases.

Why plunk down $40 (or more) for the first season of any TV show if there's not even the slightest possibility of additional seasons?

I've a shelf of TV series that have been abandoned after the first or second season, and I've learned my lesson. I don't even consider a purchase until at least half of the show's run is on the market.

I bet that's logic the studios didn't count on or expect!

Jeff

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I don't think every show that doesn't have a next season announced is due to the "one and done" scenario. I think it falls into 3 general categories:

1) "One and Done" scenario already discussed: show didn't sell well enough to be economically feasible for the studio to continue the releases. Sometimes it may be out-and-out due to low sales (Larry Sanders Show), sometimes it may be sales just low enough to be a problem in conjunction with another issue (such as music cost issues, like with Happy Days), sometimes it may be a situation with rights not available beyond a certain point (Punky Brewster, Earth: Final Conflict, Beverly Hillbillies).

2) "Waiting For the Right Time" scenario mentioned in terms of The Hulk: some shows are waiting for a known upcoming tie-in situation so that they may maximize profits (at least in their own minds). This is the reason - as mentioned in a news post - why Voltron hasn't made it onto DVD yet...they want to tie it in with an upcoming theatrical film and/or new series. Hulk is waiting on a new film. Logan's Run could come to DVD when and if the LR remake film ever happens. Disney will consider season sets of the 90's Spider-Man when the 3rd film hits. Mission: Impossible is for certain waiting on MI3 to hit theaters. As you can see, this issue affects series that are unreleased and series that have had releases that are somewhat "stalled".

3) Lack of resources: You see how the 2nd season of Diff'rent Strokes just got announced. It would have come out a lot quicker if it was a better seller, surely. But its sales weren't so bad to kill it. It's just that the studio only has a limited number of resources to assign to projects. And if I'm Sony, and I think DS-S2 will make X number of dollars in revenue, but I think S1 releases of Bewitched and Fantasy Island will make more - possibly much more - dollars than the "X number of dollars" that another season set of DS will earn us, then which projects will I give that production team to do first? So the Adam-12 and Dragnet second seasons may not be a question of never happening...it may just be a question that Universal wants to get the first season of SeaQuest DSV onto store shelves first.

By the way, with all the mention of Universal Studios shows that haven't seen a second season on DVD yet, I'm shocked that noone mentioned Airwolf. [​IMG]