1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Emergency breaking fourth wall

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dave Scarpa, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I’m watching the first season episode where johnny is lamenting over an Adam 12 episode he missed the end of, well not talking about the obvious shameless plug of your other series, wasn’t Emergency spun off of Adam 12 or didn’t they do a crossover at some point???

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  2. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    The season 5 episode of Adam-12 "Lost and Found" spends a lot of time at the Rampart Hospital. Most of the cast of Emergency makes an appearance.
    vlcsnap-2019-08-21-12h09m52s141.
    vlcsnap-2019-08-21-12h14m22s703.

vlcsnap-2019-08-21-12h16m40s359.

Radioman970 and benbess like this.
  3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    I don't recall the show being a spinoff of Adam-12. If anything, I think Jack Webb and Robert A. Cinader simply wanted to expand out of police shows and took advantage of the newly formed paramedic programs to tell a new series of stories. In the end, the show did more to promote the benefits of paramedic teams than any other publicity campaign in existence at the time.

Todd Erwin and Radioman970 like this.
  4. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Back then, Universal re-used various actors for different roles among all of their shows. There were a lot of crossovers between the various shows. Emergency, Chips, Adam-12 and many of the staple Universal Studios TV shows were, possibly, the first integrated universe, before the MCU and the Arrowverse was ever a concept. It was funny becvause I think Emergency was an indirect spinoff from Chips.

I'm also aware that other studios experimented with this concept, such as The Jeffersons and Maude, which were direct spinoffs from All in the Family. It's funny when I hear people say that MCU and Arrowverse were original 'cinematic universes' when in reality, they weren't. Universal also experimented in the 80's when they engaged in crossovers between Magnum P.I., Simon and Simon and Murder She Wrote.

5. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    I doubt that considering "Emergency" premiered a few years before "Chips" did.

6. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    Reminds me of Green Acres. When that series started in 1965 the casts of that show and Petticoat Junction frequently crossed over to the other show. The characters of the first Paul Henning series The Beverly Hillbillies weren't referenced at all until the Green Acres characters did a local theatre production in 1967 based on the TV SERIES The Beverly Hillbillies (with Lisa playing Granny and Oliver playing Jethro). However, later in the series Petticoat Junction (after star Bea Benederet's death), Granny (now a real person) made an appearance to help out with Betty Jo and Steve's new baby. Less than a month later at Thanksgiving 1968 the casts of all three shows met up in Beverly Hills for Thanksgiving dinner. Now it was said the Bea Benederet's two characters (Kate on Petticoat Junction and Pearl on Beverly Hillbillies) were related since they looked so much like each other!

Attached Files:

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  7. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    To further add to the confusion, Kent McCord was on Dragnet twice before Adam-12... once in season 1 as an undercover officer under suspicion, then as a uniform officer.

Then, he was a fresh rookie on Adam-12.

8. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Well, it's been awhile since I last watched but I recall an episode early on in Chips where one of the older fire trucks appears in an episode of CHiPs that happened to be the paramedics from a fire station. The reason it stands out to me is that in the first episode of Emergency, there is a similar emergency vehicle before John and Roy are transferred to Station 51, which featured the newer fire department paramedic vehicle that became the staple of the TV series.

While it's true there was no backdoor pilot in CHiPs, it just reminds me of that episode. The older style fire trucks had come out of the late 60's before they were eventually redesigned. But, after looking for the information on the just just now, you're right in that Emergency predated CHiPs so I stand corrected. It was just odd that CHiPs featured one of the older classic 1960's fire trucks on the television series.