Emergency! Artwork blooper

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jon_Gu, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

Gord Lacey over at TVSoD has been kind enough to post the preliminary artwork for Emergency!'s first season release.
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3486

I'm thrilled that this show is finally coming to DVD! But C'mon Universal, you've got enough good photos out there of our two favorite Paramedics with Squad51. Put the Photoshop away and use one of 'em!!!

To add insult to injury, that isn't Engine51 in the background either. Trust me, it isn't the original 1965 Crown Firecoach pumper, nor is it the 1973 Ward LaFrance Abassador pumper that served Station 51 from 1974 through the end of the run. The truck pictured is a current model, probably less than 5 years old.

Oh well, I'm still happy just to be getting this on DVD!

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

...and why the heck is the artwork in B&W. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love B&W, but the show is in color. It's quite common for a B&W movie to have a color cover, but for a color program to have a B&W one?

Either way, I'm quite eager to pick this up. Hopefully Universal doesn't screw it up too bad. With the amount of posts for this title, I'm also afraid of it being a one-season and done DVD.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

As for the artwork, the article says that

"We asked about a color version, but it's still being tweaked, and won't be ready for awhile."

4. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

According to the TVSoD, this is just a B&W version of the color cover. The image just doesn't look right, Roy and Johnny's 30 year old picture matted on top of a new photograph, I'd bet the color matching may be part of the problem.

I wouldn't worry too much about this being a one season release. This will start flying off the shelf once it hits the stores. There are alot of fans of this show in the Fire Service and other places that don't frequent alot of the DVD websites.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Yeah, if you talk to paramedics, firefighters, and doctors of a certain age, you will find many who were inspired to those careers by watching the show.

6. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

Ever since I saw the picture of the Season 1 cover today I have the theme song in my head...

I too am looking forward to this series. After watching this show as a youth, I too wanted to be a firefighter.

7. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    That's also not a season one picture of Mantooth and Tighe. Gage's hair was short during the first season, IIRC.

8. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

9. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

I bet they used the same Photoshop artist who put together MASH Season 8 with Hawkeye's dangling hand ...

Regardless, who cares about the cover. As long as the show is uncut, has good color and contains some extras, thats enough for me.

10. Eric Peterson

AHHHHHH! Double-Sided discs!

I can't stand those damn things. They're almost always problem riddled. (especially from Universal). I'll gladly pay the difference to make this a 4 disc set. Are other companies still using double-sided discs as much as Universal? I wanted the Munsters set last year, but passed on it because it was double-sided discs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Almost every TV box set uses double-sided discs now. Since I have yet to have a problem with them, I prefer them.

I don't think Paramount has made the switch, at least on the sets I have.

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I don't think this is a correct assessment at all.

WB, in fact, has turned the OTHER way -- going from double-sided to single-sided (even with hour-long shows, such as West Wing and ER).

13. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Got the WB's Dukes of Hazzard a week ago, and it's double sided. I was hoping it was misreported that the next season will have nine singles. What a waste of discs and shelf space.

14. Eric Peterson

Obviously, you've been extremely lucky. Nearly every double-sided disc that I've ever owned has been a problem. They skip, pixelate, etc..... ...and yes I have good equipment, and these were brand new discs straight out of the case and handled like a newborn baby. I went through 2 copies of Schindler's List, but since the second one skipped less, I just ate it.

I've passed on countless collections because of repeated posts of skipping discs including "Abbott & Costello", "The Munsters", and many many others. I'm now going to have to make a gutcheck decision on this set.

My biggest concern, is that I don't watch all of the episodes immediately, it may take 2 years before I get through them all, and then what if the second disc is a problem? I'm screwed, that's what!

I'm not near the TV on DVD junkie that many of you are (I'm more into film), but I have quite a few TV sets (Simpsons, All in the Family, Jeffersons, S&S, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, etc..) and the only one that is double-sided is "Outer Limits", so most companies are not using double-sided discs.

15. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

That sucks. I have never had a problem with any of the double sided discs I have. Granted if it is a double sided disc that has a fool-screen side, I have never watched it so I can't say for 100% that they don't skip. Every single double sided TV show disc I own has worked flawlessly and 90% of TV show boxsets I own were bought used.

--Ian

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

At first I was gonna say "who cares about the wrong fire engine, it's the disc that counts!", but then I thought about the Starship Enterprise in the background of a Star Wars DVD cover [​IMG]

17. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I too hate double-sided discs and always have problems with them. As far as I know, Paramount has never issued a double-sided disc, which is one of the reasons why I think they're the best DVD company out there. [​IMG]

18. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

19. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Linda, you beat me to it! Haha

I thought people would be happier with that art, and I think it looks more in line with the other "Classic Television" titles, don't you?

Sometimes the studios DO listen [​IMG]

Gord

20. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

Gord...THANK YOU for your part in helping to make this happen!

To answer your question, YES...I think it's much better all around! I have no doubt that the vast majority of fans will agree.

[​IMG]