What's new

Embarrassing- cat sprayed my AVR 7200 (1 Viewer)

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the cat's gone. I feel bad about that too. Nothing good about the whole damned situation. After I call a couple more dealers to see if they will look at it- I will become more serious about the insides. I cleaned the heat sink manifold (what ever the hell you call it) and I cleaned obvious patches of urine with cd cleaner. I know it's not the best- but I needed to do something quick, and figured that cd cleaner was better than urine.

I am picking up the distilled water and depends after I talk to the other dealers. If they decline to look at the machine- I'll start taking it apart myself. It's a bit intimidating I must say- lots of jammed in stuff.

I strongly suspect I will be in the market for a new AVR. I wonder if I could at least get a couple of hundred bucks for the parts that still work?

Ah well, thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for listening. I am pretty disheartened. I bought the AVR before I owned any speakers. I have been slowly buying decent speakers. I have never even had the chance to hear it play in 5.1- as I didn't have my surrounds yet- I should have them tomorrow- for all the good that does me. This Saturday was going to be the big calibration day.

It's all a house of cards that is one cat piss away from tumbling down...

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the cat's gone. I feel bad about that too. Nothing good about the whole damned situation. After I call a couple more dealers to see if they will look at it- I will become more serious about the insides. I cleaned the heat sink manifold (what ever the hell you call it) and I cleaned obvious patches of urine with cd cleaner. I know it's not the best- but I needed to do something quick, and figured that cd cleaner was better than urine.

I am picking up the distilled water and depends after I talk to the other dealers. If they decline to look at the machine- I'll start taking it apart myself. It's a bit intimidating I must say- lots of jammed in stuff.

I strongly suspect I will be in the market for a new AVR. I wonder if I could at least get a couple of hundred bucks for the parts that still work?

Ah well, thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for listening. I am pretty disheartened. I bought the AVR before I owned any speakers. I have been slowly buying decent speakers. I have never even had the chance to hear it play in 5.1- as I didn't have my surrounds yet- I should have them tomorrow- for all the good that does me. This Saturday was going to be the big calibration day.

It's all a house of cards that is one cat piss away from tumbling down...

DanaA

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'm very sorry about what you've been through. Been following this thread, hoping that the receiver can be salvaged, especially after you saved so long to get it. Crossing my fingers still.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'm very sorry about what you've been through. Been following this thread, hoping that the receiver can be salvaged, especially after you saved so long to get it. Crossing my fingers still.

RobertC

Agent
Pus Suchre
I'am sorry to hear what happen to you.I
hope you can get it fixed.Please keep us posted.
And i wish you lot of luck.Hope you find some one to fix it.

Regards
RobertC

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
I found a HK repair shop in Lancaster PA that will look at it! The guy says it's not all hopeless. Got to go- they close at 3pm, and they are 95 minutes away. It will take a week before they get to it- so I'll report back then. Wish me luck guys.

Thanks again for all of your help and your sympathy- never thought that I'd want sympathy before- but I did on this one :)

Pus

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Maybe the H/K sound was a little harsh on the little guys ears.....he could have been trying to tell you something
:frowning:

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
What ever happened with this?

I followed this thread as closely and with as much anticipation as the one about the yutz who bought a TV too big for his staicase. I'm on pins and needles.

Apologies to the yutz.:D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard, Pus' cat was writing on the animal rights forum about Pus filtering a 6-pack over the cat's head. :D

RobWil

Supporting Actor

LOL!

One drop at a time, no doubt, ala Chinese water torture..... only worse.... especially if you use a nasty beer like Budweiser! :emoji_thumbsup:

I've been doing some research and I've found that 'Pus Suchre' is actually a French term meaning 'my cat has died a horrible death' :D

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
" 'Pus Suchre' is actually a French term meaning 'my cat has died a horrible death' "

Hmmm....well that's a close enough translation :frowning: I really do still feel bad about the cat though.....Although I must admit, the whole house has been smelling better lately....

The receiver has been in the shop since June 22. My wife called the guy last week for me (I have a good wife), and he's waiting on a part from HK. This fills me with hope :)

He seems to think that it was just a switch that was damaged, and I should have my beast back for under $150. He is also going to give it some sort of cleaning "bath". Hopefully this bath will take care of any potential "cooked piss" smells as the reciever heats up- and it DOES heat up. It may take another week or so though....

Thanks to the help from you guys, I think I did a fairly good job of cleaning it up before I took it to the shop. I know the repair guy was expecting something smelling God awful- and he seemed pleasantly surprised that it only smelled sorta bad. He nodded his head in approval to the distilled water on the heat manifold, and the DeoxIt- so thanks for that to you guys.

I'm pretty anxious. I have my untried SVS 20-39PCi, my four untried surrounds, my untried radio shack analog SPL meter, and my untried Video Essentials.....all waiting for the return of the beast.

I've been saving for what seems like forever, and I'm anxious, very anxious to have real home theater sound. All I can do is look at my dangling 10 guage speaker wire and wait...

Soon I hope. I can't wait until I can start posting some idiotic questions about subwoofer calibration :)

I'll let you guys know when my beast is back.

-Pus

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I gets the feeling its not going to be that bad. Keeping my fingers crossed for an inexpensive repair.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chu- I am optimistic. Though after reading this recent spate of hate mail about HKs in general, I'm just a tad bit nervous. Funny thing is that the HK switching off problem that some of the other fellows have been having with their HK sounds like the switching off problem of my 7200. Of course my problem was cat piss induced :)

Well anyway, I am looking forward to getting things up & going so that I can start the process of serious beer "filtration" :D

Simon Van der Linde

Auditioning
Real Name
simon van
This just happened to me. Wasn't even my cat - bloody neighbour's cat strolled in through back door and pee'd on amp, short-circuiting it. Anyway, gave it a thorough and scarily wet scrub with record-cleaning fluid and a toothbrush, allowed it to dry overnight and it's started working again! Saved me £300. Phew.

j3mi21e

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie Wicker
Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion mate, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents.

Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home! A herbal mixture of sorts! I now recommend it to everyone because it works so freakin' well and we save SOO much money!

You should definitely check it out, we don't even buy Odorban and the likes any longer :)

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and for a decent price as well.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

To be honest, I don't know too much more about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a description of the spray with a long review as well: https://nomorecatpee.com/index.htm

No I have not been paid for this post nor do I make any commissions off of it. I really just want to help you guys out. I hope you don't mind.

I'm based in Sweden, by the way, so you should be able to get it too.

Good luck with the odor! It really lowers your quality of life, doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.