Embarrasingly, Shakespeare in Love is still my reference dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

I just popped in this movie the other day and was amazed at the colors in this film. I could see every glint and hue of Judy Dench's elaborate costumes.
    For the longest time, Gladiator was my benchmark but I grew tired of the blue filters they used in the film. I was looking for a movie that had natural colors. The Legend of Bagger Vance was also refreshing but Shakespeare in Love is just an awesome movie - video wise.

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I wouldn't say you should be embarassed. It is a very good movie - and yes, it has a great transfer. When I got my RPTV isf'ed, this was the first movie I watched. I was amazed.
    ------------------
    Stefan Antwarg
    My DVD Collection
    The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

3. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

I use it, too. Sets that are poorly set up (e.g. svm) tend to hash the court scenes in ways that are immediately apparent.
    ------------------

4. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I still use it also. I happen to love this movie anyway.

5. Han

Han Second Unit

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Movie-wise, I like Shakespeare in Love more than Gladiator. Gladiator's probably my audio reference (or Chicken Run), but there are many DVDs with the same level or better video quality than Gladiator. Blue filter or not.

6. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I cant say that Ive ever seen Shakespeare in Love, but you should check out The Fifth Element. Especially the Superbit version because the colors are slightly more accurate. If you are able to view a 16x9 anamorphic picture, get this disc and skip to Chapter 8 and look at the scene when the Fifth Element is standing on the side of the building and is about to jump off...simply breathtaking. That one scene is my reference scene for my HT.

7. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I remember when I rented Shakespeare in Love when it came out.
    I was totally impressed with the transfer. The details on the costumes, as mentioned, were eye-catching. Great color and very clean. Good movie too.
    May have to turn this into a purchase now that I think of it. Hmmmmm.
    BOK

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I was a video buyer at the time, and I remember going to my boss, when he asked me why I didn't buy it from the store
    "I got it for $15 under cost online, no wonder they're killing us"
    I wish those days were back [​IMG]
    Jeff Kleist

9. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

Hey all
    Can always talk the wife into watching a movie if I agree to spin this one. It's awesome on our 55" Mits widescreen.
    One word of warning if you are thinking of buying this great movie on DVD: there are TWO versions. Both have the same transfer, but they have very different features. The "collector's series" DVD has lots of extras, including a commentary. The other one is bare bones. There are lots of both out there, as the newer collector's series disc didn't supplant the production of the bare bones one.
    The packaging is clearly marked, and the collectors' series remains one of the most expensive non-Criterion single discs on the market, particularly at B&Ms (I've seen it recently as high as $40).
    But if you just want to see a great movie and a spectacular transfer, either version will do.
    ~Jamie

10. Carl C

Carl C Stunt Coordinator

Seeing as "Shakepeare In Love" totally punked Saving Private Ryan out of an Oscar a couple years ago, there is no way it will replace SPR DTS as my reference disc.
    But, to each his/her own. [​IMG]

11. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Well, I think Buena Vista titles in genereal are terrific (the anamorphic ones of course). I was watching The Cider House Rules yesterday and was absolutly amazed of how much better it looked than other DVD's from other studios. What ever they're doing to their transfers keep it up! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    A Little Slice of Heaven

12. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Although not a movie, the "Peter Frampton - Live in Detroit" looks amazing. I believe it was filmed in HDTV maybe that added to the quality but the picture looks 3D. And to think I got this one for $4.95 at buy.com in their clearance area.
    ------------------
    JB
    My baloney has a first name it's H-O-M-E-R my baloney has a second name it's H-O-M-E-R

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    SPR DTS may get the audio nod over Shakes, but SIL was only 1 of 4 better-than-SPR movies that year (1998)! (Not that I didn't like SPR a lot, but once you got past the opening half hour, it was nothing we hadn't seen before. War Movie 101 essentially.)
    The others? Dark City, Babe: Pig In The City, and Velvet Goldmine, IMHO. [​IMG]

14. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

HenrikTull makes a good point.
    Buena Vista has really put out some great anamorphic transfers within the last year or so with DVDs such as SIL, Cider House Rules, The Straight Story, Cradle Will Rock, The Insider, Unbreakable and Chocolat.
    A sharp contrast to their non-anamorphic days.

15. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

quote: Seeing as "Shakepeare In Love" totally punked Saving Private Ryan out of an Oscar a couple years ago, there is no way it will replace SPR DTS as my reference disc.[/quote]
    I would respectfully suggest that this may have been because Shakespeare in Love was a better film than Saving Private Ryan in many many ways. Shakespeare was helped tremendously by having the richest, most carefully-written screenplay Hollywood has seen in decades. SPR was a hell of a movie, but it was more than a little overrated, IMHO. It wasn't the year's best movie, it wasn't Spielberg's best movie, and it wasn't even one of the best war movies I've seen (Patton, Glory, Gettysburg, and Andersonville spring to mind).
    It's possible that history will show that neither of them were as important a film as Dark City, which wasn't even nominated.
    Oh, and yes, the transfer of Shakespeare in Love is a wonderful example of how something can be reference quality without special effects and explosions.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!
    [Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on October 29, 2001 at 08:09 PM]