Embarrasing Mistake in TNG Season 1 Set

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Williams, Mar 26, 2002.

1. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I searched the forums, hopefully I haven't missed it, but it seems to have gone unnoticed... In the insert for the First Season it lists the characters. Everyone's favorite stud muffin has been given a demotion to Lt. Cmdr. William T. Riker! It also neglects to mention Data, Dr. Crusher, and Counselor Troi's rank, even though everyone else gets a rank before their name, with the exception of Wesley. (For the record, that's 2 Lt. Cmdrs and 1 Cmdr)

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

So far as I know, it's similar to the "Commodore" rank for Captains. Since he is the Senior Lt. Commander on board, he's referred to as "commander". His pips are different because he's the first officer. When Sisko took command of DS9 he was a Lt. Commander(referred to as "Commander")and was only much later promoted to Captain.

3. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    Jeff, I must disagree with you on this notion.

I'm pretty sure the credits list him as Commander. Though it is true lt.comm is called "commander" though I'm sure its purely for brevity.

Data is a lt.comm and referred to as commander in this fashion.

Since I believe you cannot be promoted "past" a rank, as in being a lt.comm then becoming a Captain, I would say Riker is a commander (3 pips). Since Riker turned down his commission of Captain to serve as the first officer on the flag ship.

Lastly (this is too damn long eh?) in the episode where the crew looses the long term memories/identities...the computer manifest lists riker and a commander.

Probably a misprint. OR Riker was silently promoted ala LaForge during the "off season"

cheers!

Josh

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such rank called "commander." Ranks are things like lieutenants, colonels, captains, etc. They can be hyphenated with modifiers, like Lt.-Commander.

So, if I'm right, Riker's formal rank is indeed Lieutenant-Commander. He "outranks" Data because of his role on the ship, not because of the rank titles. The "commander" part only signifies that the officer has permanent crew command responsbilities, as shown in the episode where Troi applies to get promoted so that she can command the night crew.

If Riker's rank is listed as just "commander," it's probably just to shorten it up. "Commander" implies "Lt-Commander," because there is no other kind of commander.

5. David Williams

Just to clarify this: William Thomas Riker has and continues to be, for more than 15 years, (and until Star Trek: Nemesis comes out) a full Commander, not a Lieutenant Commander. [​IMG] Check with Startrek.com, The Omnipedia, or any of the other books if you have any doubts.
    Riker turned down command of U.S.S. Drake to serve as First Officer. The Drake went to Paul Rice whom Riker bumps into, or at least a robot pretending to be, in the first season episode Arsenal of Freedom. He served as Captain Robert DeSoto's First Officer on the U.S.S. Hood before coming to the Enterprise.
    Ben Sisko was also a Commander, serving as First Officer on the U.S.S. Saratoga and a side trip at Utopia Planitia, before being promoted in the 4th or 5th season of DS9 to Captain.
    On most Federation ships, the First Officer almost always carries the rank of full Commander.
    Star Trek ranks go as follows (more or less following Naval fashion):
    Admiral (4 different flavors): up to 4 full pips with a bar around it
    Captain: 4 full pips
    Commander: 3 full pips
    Lieutenant Commander: 2 full pips, 1 empty pip
    Lieutenant: 2 full pips
    Lieutenant Junior Grade (J.G.): 1 full pip, 1 empty pip
    Ensign: 1 full pip
    Chief Petty Officer: 1 empty pip
    Trekkers being the fanatical bunch we are, are going to notice this like it had a huge neon sign pointing to it.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    From Merriam-Webster:

7. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    Riker is a full Commander on the Enterprise D.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Agreement with the last three entries. I know for a fact that Riker was full Commander from day 1, and when everyone views the episodes they will see that this is correct. He was already past the Lt.-Commander stage when we meet him at Farpoint.
    This is a major oversight in the creation of this insert, which I actually hadn't read yet...just admired the full-spread artwork of! [​IMG]
    Congratulations to all of us who have this insert! Since Paramount will surely correct it very soon, we probably have a genuine collector's item on our hands! [​IMG]

9. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else notice that when we first get to the bridge in "encounter at farpoint" data is stretching/cracking his finger knuckles. Then starts to "type" on his terminal.

Was he lubricating? I am gonna watch for further instances of this in later episodes, but I had not seen it before. Seems like soemthing an android would not need to do.

10. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

He was imitating people around him. Like trying to whistle.

11. David Lambert

This instance of Data cracking his knuckles was pointed out by nitpickers a looooong time ago! [​IMG]
    The "official" explanation is that Data was trying to emulate human characteristics, and often did "human" things that an android would not NEED to do.
    And THAT behavior - of trying to duplicate human mannerisms - is definately repeated throughout all 7 seasons of TNG...and even into the films!
    EDIT: Whoops! Shayne's brief response beat my long-winded response by just a few seconds! [​IMG]

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Doug,
    He was probally just imitating something hes seen humans do over and over again. (yup Shane and Dave beat me to it)
    I cant remember the episode name, but one of my favorite Data moments was him watching and imitating Riker shake hands and introduce himself to a Admiral at a party.(Loved the raised eyebrow, false smile and handshake)(The episode where Picard went back for his horse saddle and got stranded abord the Enterpise with some terrorists)
    Ok, Ive slipped, 4 years ago I couldve remembered the name of the episode easily.[​IMG]

13. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

The episode you refer to is Starship Mine from the Sixth Season. It was basically Die Hard on the Enterprise with Picard in the John McClane role. Data was trying to master the art of small talk (after failing miserably to engage in the act with Picard), which Commander Hutchinson was a master at.

14. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Seems like everyone is an officer or non-comm in the Trek world. There any enlisted folk on board?

15. David Lambert

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You know, here it is on a Wednesday, and my set still hasn't arrived. I have not looked forward to many DVD arrivals as much as this one. Damn.

17. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Call me Hutch!

18. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

20. David Williams