What's new

Embarrasing habits.. (1 Viewer)

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator

What?! How is walking around with your mouth open, breathing, considered rude?!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Rude is probably stretching it - unattractive or plebeian is more appropriate :)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Very unattractive. You know that scene in AMADEUS where the priest first enters the madhouse to see Salieri? All the crazies, sliding around the tile floors and bound up in boxes and tied to the walls, the one thing they all have in common is that they have their mouths hanging open. It's the international sign for, I dunno, I'm just catchin' flies...

Gum chewing, too. I'm down on gum chewing. Especially the kind of gum chewing that makes you look like a cow chewing your cud. Chicks do this, hot chicks: they chew their gum like cows! Do they also chew their food with their mouth open? (Do YOU? That's another amazingly grotesque habit. Women, you let your men sit across the table from you at Tavern on The Green and chew with his mouth open?)

Sometimes, people are really foul. In my opinion.

MC

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Wow, there's somebody else who has it against gum. I can sort of tolerate normal chewing, but the whole concept is just sort of gross to me. I'll chew it if I need to, but once that flavor is gone it's out of my mouth and in the trash.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So in all seriousness, is there a reason you can't breathe through your nose?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I haven't tried Singular, Max, my asthma isn't as severe as it was when I was growing up, I just get occasional wheezing and some morning congestion, and even then not all the time.

As for chewing gum, I find that I am more relaxed in social situations if i'm chewing a piece of Juicy Fruit, I just feel more confident somehow, go figure.

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator

Not at all. I just dont understand how breathing through my mouth is rude. That's what it is there for (along with talking, eating, etc), and if it wasn't our tracheas would be directly connected to our noses.
Can anyone honestly say they dont breath out of their mouths?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

Smoker here!

I dont throw my butts out the window and Im considerate of non-smokers around me; especially small kids.

Please dont stereotype smokers. Yeah its a bad habit; but not all of us are rude and inconsiderate.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I can't say that I don't sometimes (I have allergies so it's unavoidable at times) but I'm also conscious about it and the impression it gives. And again, I wouldn't say it's "rude" just not a good way to present oneself. There's a reason "mouth breather" is an insult and why they make Breathe Right nasal strips.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

The men from my father's and both grandfathers' generations, the men of the OLD country, would quite freely hawk loogies and blow snot-rockets in public, anywhere and everywhere.

When I was a kid, my father would be driving down the highway, steering with one hand and rolling down the window (of his massive blue Rambler -- great car!) with the other, and then proceed to ptyalize a wad of phlegm the approximate mass of a good Coney Island knish.

When his father would visit, he would -- even though we obviously had in-door plumbing -- trudge off to the nearby woods in order to evacuate his bowels, grabbing a fistful of big leaves along the way for clean-up.

My father still pees in the yard....

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Like Guo, I hate chewing gum when the flavor is gone. I just toss it out after that.

Some people can chew gum forever - they must be addicted to the cow-like chewing motion. :D

John: Ah, I guess you outgrew the asthma (like most people who had asthma before outgrew theirs).

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
That's hilarious!

Do you think Oral-B will be the first to market a device to tap into the Oral Fixation market? Hmmmm...chewable toothbrushing action!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The first time I heard the term was from my attractive psych major friend. It conjured up a variety of images :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
One of the 3-person adventure races I did last year, our team name was "Hakka Lugi" (we won too!)...

Anyway, when I went to China in 2001, it was very common to see Chinese men spit everywhere, and not a little quiet spit or so, it would be a loud HHHHHHHHHHAaaaaaaaaccckkk, spittui!

Didn't seem to matter where too, sidewalk, road, inside a shopping mall..

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks