What's new

Email problems with Mail & Thunderbird (1 Viewer)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I have Cox as my ISP, and have set up Mail on my MBP for my email client. I previously used Thunderbird but I like Mail now so that's what I'm using. When I'm at home I have no problems sending and receiving emails using Mail, but when I'm at work or a cafe with wifi, Mail (and thunderbird previously) gave me "relay" problems when trying to send emails. I looked up on the Cox help page and saw that all my settings are correct for the Smtp and pop servers, but I can't figure out how to get the outgoing mail to be sent while I'm away from the house. At work we use Cox as the ISP too but I can't send emails there either. Should I just stick to using Cox's webmail while I'm away from the house?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Cox is probably not allowing you to send when you're not directly connected to their network. If you set yourself up a free Gmail account, you can put that into Mail as well and use it to send when you're out and about. Or alternately, you can use Cox's webmail.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Yeah I finally found the help page on Cox's page and saw there's really no fix for it. What's odd is that when I brought my laptop to work (Which is also Cox), I still couldn't send emails through Mail. I'll just stick to webmail then.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Right -- they want you to use your own connection to them. I was reading something about a workaround for Rogers up here (who do the same thing) and if I find anything useful I'll pass the info along.

The Gmail solution works well -- you can still "send" the mail from your Cox account, you'll just be using Gmail's outgoing mail server with your Gmail username and password. You just have to make a Gmail account and then set it up in Mail.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Bumping this up... I've now signed up for a Gmail account and configured it along with my Cox account in Mail. So now at work, I can respond to emails that were sent to my Cox account, and I send them on Gmails server. However when the person gets it, it shows the sender (me) as my Gmail email address. Do you know how to configure it so that it shows the sender as my Cox account?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks