EMA: Blu-ray Sales Increased 10% in 2012

Kevin Collins

Owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
EMA shared today at the annual Independent Product Market event that there was a .25% increase in consumer spending on home entertainment in 2012, the first time in seven years there hasn’t been a decrease. Is that something to be happy about?

EMA’s report had Blu-ray sales up nearly 10% in 2012, with the average price paid by consumers declining to $19.97.

Nielsen shared data showing DVD unit sales down 7.2% in 2012, but overall Blu-ray unit sales up 22.6%. It's interesting how Nielsen reports such a dramatically different view of Blu-ray sales than EMA. Of course, what is not stated is what the number is. It's easy to have a 22.6% increase from a base of 10K. When people just list the percentages and not the numbers, there usually is a reason for that. What's more interesting would be to see how DVD sales compared to Blu-Ray sales from inception to current time.

Nielsen also reported that more than 70% of all disc sales came from mass merchants adding that both Walmart and Target saw declining sales. There were fewer people buying discs in 2012, but those who did buy bought more. The top 10% of disc buyers each averaged $572 on content.

I wonder where Amazon fits into all of this, particularly since they don't give out their sales data....

Giving a rough estimate, how much did you spend on Blu-Ray last year? I guess I am in the top 10%... sigh.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
The figures are nebulous, because as you say, they're just percentage changes. Without access to the full report, it's hard to draw any firm conclusions. It seems to be good news though, that although physical disc sales are shrinking, Blu-ray is gaining ground over DVD. Last time we had this discussion in another thread, the data showed that DVDs comprised around 75% of all physical disc sales, so any change over to Blu-ray, however small, should at least encourage a few more BD releases.

The 70% figure for all disc sales being from mass merchants lines up with an earlier Wall Street Journal report where studios reported a similar figure, citing that this was made up of people primarily impulse buying DVDs in places like supermarkets. So it doesn't really bode well for good quality releases on BD, as it's a different market altogether.

Personally, I'm in the top 10% in terms of BD spending, particularly as 2012 was a particularly good year for catalog releases. Of course, I offset that spending by not going to cinemas, or buying any movies in DVD, digital download or streaming form. So BD is my only real source of media consumption, aside from PC games.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
I went on a mission to replace as many dvds as possible last year, and in the first part of this one. I probably spent more than the top 10% average. Almost all from Amazon, tax free, and Prime membership. So, like Persianimmortal, lots of catalog releases.

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
In the past 12 months, I figure I've spent somewhere between $1100.00 and $1200.00 on BD's. When they stop making BD discs I will be done with movie collecting. I can't see myself ever streaming or downloading movies.

Reactions: Dave Upton

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Greg_D_R said:
I went on a mission to replace as many dvds as possible last year, and in the first part of this one. I probably spent more than the top 10% average. Almost all from Amazon, tax free, and Prime membership. So, like Persianimmortal, lots of catalog releases.
Don't forget the WB DVD2Blu program. They do update it. I did a bunch during the RED2Blu, but did 5 more this year in the DVD program. Sadly, I'm probably in the top buying group as well, mostly catalog titles.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgiastevenson