Elvis RCA releases

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam R. Aucoin, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

Back in the early 1990s, I purchased three box-sets of Elvis CDs. They were all issued by RCA, and consisted of 5 CDs per box, along with "collectible" stamps and glossy, very expensive-looking booklets that are jam-packed with liner notes. They are (in order):

Elvis - The King of Rock and Roll - The Complete 50's Masters

Elvis - From Nashville to Memphis - The Essential 60's Masters I

Elvis - Walk a Mile in My Shoes - The Essential 70's Masters

Questions:

1. Are these OOP?

2. Are they worth more than their original MSRP?

3. What happened to The Essential 60's Masters Volume II? (I purchased a Volume II recently, but it did not come in a long box like the others, and consisted of only 2 CDs and came in a double-jewel case).

4. Were any others made, and if so, which others do I need to complete the "set"?

Thanks for any responses.

Regards,

Sam

2. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

1. Nope. Not OOP. Amazon has all 3 (4) for sale right now.

2. Not really. I bought all 3 for ~$30 each on eBay about 2 years ago. They go for about $75 new. I think the 3 big sets are available in slipcases now instead of the bigger long boxes.

3. Command Performances: The Essential 60's Masters II is a collection of Elvis's movie soundtrack material from that decade, some of which is not too good, but there are alot of good tracks on there. It also has Viva Las Vegas on it.

4. You'll never complete a collection of Elvis. RCA will see to that. They release new stuff every year. The "Live in Las Vegas" 3 CD set, consisting of both new and old material, was probably the most popular set released in 2001.

That being said, I love those 3 "Decade" box sets. 3 boxed sets that give you an instant collection. There are some bigger sets and some other collections which you may want. I also have Memories: The '68 Comeback Special, Aloha From Hawaii (Remastered in '98 version), and a few others. I also picked up a 2 CD import from Australia that includes all of his hits because I haven't bothered with Command Performances: The Essential 60's Masters II yet. Look around on Amazon, and some other sites like allmusic.com and you'll get a feel for what you "need."

4. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

For some interviews with the man in charge of the remastering effort, Ernst Jorgensen, go to this fan link and click on "Interviews" at the top of the page...
    http://www.worldwideelvis.com/

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor