What's new

Elvis Presley 30 #1 Hits on DVD-Audio - a rant... (1 Viewer)

Michael_T

Second Unit
I posted this on another board, but feel like posting it here also to see how others feel:
Ok - so I breakdown and purchase the Elvis Presley DVD-Audio disc - 30 #1 Hits (not really being a big Elvis fan to begin with) - but hey it was on sale for $15.98 at it is a slow week for new releases. :D
Anyway, I haven't listened to this yet - but don't really expect too much (yes I know that the DVD-Audio disc doesn't have a dedicated stereo/mono track).
BUT, one thing irks me and seems a little disconcerting, as I state from the insert in the package:
" The first 18 songs ("A Little Less Conversation" through "Stuck On You") were mixed from the original multi-track tapes and the last 13 ("A Big Hunk O' Love" through "Heartbreak Hotel") were mixed from the original mono master tapes. Tracks have been mixed and mastered in 5.1 Surround Sound."
What's wrong with that picture????? :confused: :confused:
First off, BMG indicates they reversed the playing order of the DVD-A in comparison to the CD - "for optimum listening enjoyment". The newest songs come first since they are "true" 5.1 surround sound, but the oldest hits come last since they come from mono masters mixed to 5.1 surround sound. I hate to think what songs like "Love Me Tender", "All Shook Up", "Heartbreak Hotel", etc are going to sound like in 5.1 surround sound when mixed from MONO tapes?!? :confused:
Do I dare think shades of "Silverline" Records here - where over 90+% of their DVD-A's are mixed to 5.1 Surround Sound from 2 track/mono masters. Needless to say they sound downright bad.
Can this Elvis DVD-A be another point of contention for those who "hate" DVD-A to drive another nail into the coffin?
I guess I will find out when I take a listen.
If you want to find out what I found after a listen click on this link:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=111967
Any other comments are welcome.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I picked this up today as well and gave it a quick listen. Personally, I think the whole thing sounds pretty good. The center channel is used very little and is mostly used as ambiance. Elvis' voice comes from the main L/R speakers. 99% of the music comes from the mains as well. The surrounds are mostly used for ambiance. Strike that, I am hearing alot more the second time around.

I've heard some backup chorus from the rears as well as from the center channel.

Considering when these songs were recorded, they really did do an excellent job of restoring the music. It sounds great.

I do, however, have problems with the DVD features.

A.) There is no menu. NO MENU. No selections...nothing
B.) In order to get to the 'bonus' tracks, I have to press the TOP MENU button on my remote. That will get me to track 1 of the special features. (It is listed as 30-something on the label).
C.) In order to get BACK to the main tracks, I have to fast forward past the last of the bonus tracks. No combination of buttons can get me back to the main tracks other than fast-forwarding.
D.) Once you play the last of the bonus tracks, the screen goes to black.

After reading Mike's posting on another BB, I see how you are supposed to get around to the various groups. I guess I just got a little confused without an actual menu..

Oh, and I wasn't too thrilled about the standard CD case. I really like the 'super' cases that come with most of the DVD-A titles out there. But, I guess that's strictly a personal thing.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I just finished listening to it....now I don't have a DVDA player yet(waiting for that DVDA/SACD player for under 300 bucks ;) ), and my HT setup may not be the greatest...I think Elvis never sounded better. Burning Love is worth the 20 bucks on its own. RCA/BMG has to get their shit together and produce a better package. I had some concerns that the mono tracks would sound too weird(like A Hard Days Night), but IMHO they sound good(unlike AHDN). Interested to see how the rest of you guys/girls with DVDA players think.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Where did you pick the disc up at this price? I did not pre-order since no one had a really great price on the disc.
I picked up my copy at Compact Disc World in East Hanover, NJ.

Justin, I see you are from NJ - but I am not familiar with your town or where it is located. If you have a Compact Disc World nearby try there - it should be on sale for $15.98.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Cool. I didn't know they were only making 25,000 copies of this, especially considering that they have already sold 8,000,000 copies of the CD.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Oddly enough, someone on the Quad board is reporting that a stereo mix is present.
Here's the post pointer
I had every intention of driving out and picking this up yesterday when it was released, but the head gasket in my car's engine had different ideas. :angry: So I'll pick it up this evening after I pick my car up.
So Michael, since you own this disc and I don't -- have you tried switching over to group 2?
It's fun to see pronouncements about the content of a disc, before it's even been loaded in the player to verify the contents.
Regards,

Michael_T

Second Unit
So Michael, since you own this disc and I don't -- have you tried switching over to group 2?
John,
Yes I have switched to group 2 and there is a dedicated 96/24 PPCM stereo track.

Since I originally posted displeasure of what I read in the insert with the disc it was before I listened to the disc, Shame on me. :b

But I later reposted in a new thread, - thinking that people would read that thread and see my corrections, - I probably should have keep everything in one thread, oh well.

Anway if you search this board - I have another thread indicating my revelations regarding the fact that there is a stereo mix.

And I did the same on the Steve Hoffman web site - also posted two separate threads - one indicating what I found before listening and one after listening.

Sorry.

Let us know what you think after you pick up the disc.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The point is that people are reading the top of the thread, and not making it down below.

See the edit icon? I suggest you use it.

Regards,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Cool. I didn't know they were only making 25,000 copies of this
I just ordered one from DVD Empire but unfortunately they are out of stock. I will cancel my order if I find one in a B&M store this week, but I would rather be sure of getting one. 25,000 is a low count for a title of this magnitude, but my guess is because this is BMGs first DVD-A, they are testing the market. If they sell out of all 25,000 copies quickly, I am sure they would do another run.

J

Michael_T

Second Unit
25,000 is a low count for a title of this magnitude
Actually I would surmise that 25,000 copies is quite a bit in terms of a DVD-Audio release. I don't have numbers, maybe someone else does, but I hazard to guess that many of the mainstream Warners titles (even the real popular titles) might have have a hard time selling 25,000 in DVD-A form.

At this point in time I just don't think the market for DVD-A is that large - but I could be wrong.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon is showing 24hr ship; same price as DVD Empire.

If anyone orders for them I'm up for "share the love" on this title.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
We went to Graceland recently, and they had some half-speed vinyl reissues of some of his records, and they proudly stated that they were digitally remastered??????????:rolleyes
Don't know what the hell they were thinking, but vinyl and digital are mutually exclusive. The whole point of vinyl is not having digital sound.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I will buy the Elvis DVD-A despite the fact that I just sold my Panasonic DVD-A player to my co-worker. Have to go to Best Buy tonight to see whether they have this title.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
My wife and I listened to about 1/2 again last night. It's getting better and better. I can't believe how good the vocals sound!

There is something that I never put together in the past, as I am not a big Elvis fan, until now. Why is it that he sounds so different from song to song. His voice naturally got deeper as he got older, but he sounds like he's 13 years old on Jailhouse Rock. It really doesn't even sound like him, IMHO. Did he as some time decide to sing everything in a deeper tone, or did it just happen naturally for him?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Amazon is showing 24hr ship; same price as DVD Empire.
Thanks for the heads up, my order at DVDEmpire has already been canceled becuase I would rather not wait around for possible delays. If I don't find a copy locally I will be sure to order from Amazon. Add another title to get free shipping and one of their 5 off 35 coupons floating around and you should have yourself a nice deal.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks