Elvis Presley 30 #1 Hits on DVD-A, PART 2!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_T, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Ok I listened to the disc and fooled with it a bit - and I have come up with some revelations that I would not expect. But first let me say that as Shawn C points out in my first thread - there are no menus on this disc, but if you have a DVD-Audio player you can navigate the disc by choosing GROUPS.
    Here is something I posted on another board, and I will post the same here:
    OK - I posted earlier my initial thoughts about this Elvis disc before I listened - I now listened to the disc and have some nice revelations to report:
    As was pointed out in another post - this is not what you would expect from merely reading the insert. It actually sounds very good.
    But here is the kicker - at least from what I found.
    1) Group 1 on the disc are all 31 regular tracks in 5.1 surround sound - 96/24 PPCM DVD-Audio. Not bad.
    2) GROUP 2 - contrary to what anyone might think - this disc has a separate and distinct 96/24 PPCM DVD-Audio advanced resolution stereo track. Although it was rumored/reported that this disc would not have a dedicated stereo track - THERE IT IS. (It is probably only accessible on a true DVD-Audio player.) And guess what - the MONO tracks - although coming from both R front and L front sound MONO. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I guess BMG did right by those who own a DVD-Audio player.
    3) Group 3 - are the 6 bonus tracks presented in 44.1/16 LPCM.
    So I guess the lesson I learned is don't speak before you listen - since the marketers who put together the liner notes didn't provide the whole story.
    Oh - one more thing - there are no menus at all on this disc - so you do not need your TV set. Merely push play to hear the surround tracks. Merely switch to GROUP 2 to hear the 96/24 stereo tracks. And select group 3 to hear the bonus tracks.
    Not bad at all.

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Excellent news indeed. I think I am going to hunt myself down a copy tomorrow. I was a bit on the fence because I could not find a decent price online, and the lack of a stereo track, but this has now become a must buy. The redbook CD I own already sounds great, so I can only imagine how nice the DVD-A will sound.

J

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,
    I saw your posts on Steve Hoffman's forum. Thanks for posting them here as well. I am very pleased to learn that this disc has a discrete stereo track. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Justin,
    I'll probably be heading up to the CD World in Cherry Hill towards the end of the week to pick up this disc. You might want to head there as well. It's just a short drive up 295 from your neck of the woods. [​IMG]

4. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

Found this quote......

5. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Steve,
    Regardless of what that quote says - and I think that pertains more to the way they handled the MONO to 5.1 audio conversion - there is a discrete hi-rez stereo/mono mix on the DVD-Audio disc.

I still don't know why BMG isn't pushing this fact. Even in the quote you post it states "The rest of the songs are ALL 5.1 MULTI CHANNEL!" - so how does this explain that I found a 96/24 stereo/mono track.

The only explanation is that the 96/24 2 channel mix on the DVD-A is not the same one used for the redbook CD, but is derived from the 5.1 surround channel mixes, even if it IS NOT a DVD-Audio player derived down-mix.

I guess we will have to wait until those who are extremely familiar with every nuance in Elvis' music can say whether the 2 channel mix on the DVD-A is the same as the 2 channel mix on the redbook CD.