What's new

Elvis in Super Audio? (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
It looks like it could mean SACD are coming out from Elvis, though this would be the first it has been rumored. A better bet would probably be CDs first then SACD at a later date just due to the nature of getting these out within a couple weeks time (especialy during the holidays). The only reason I question this is that it states remasterd using DSD technology, and nothing about SACD. Remember DSD is an archiving tool and should not always be directly associated with SACD releases.

J

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I agree with Justin -- sounds like these are CDs, but that RCA has started using DSD to archive the Elvis catalog. That would certainly make an eventual SACD release a possbility, depending on corporate support from RCA/BMG.

Of course, they might be "stealth" SACD hybrids like the Stones discs. I doubt it, but wouldn't that be cool?

Ryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

I thought the same thing right away. This news was discussed on Steve Hoffman's forum yesterday. My first thought was that BMG might only release CDs and might be using DSD simply for archiving purposes. Hopefully they will release Elvis on SACD. That would be an interesting twist, though, given that Elv1s just came out on DVD-Audio.

Ryan,

"Stealth SACDs" certainly are a possibility. Hopefully BMG is thinking about that. I'd love to see Elvis on SACD.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
HMMM! Elvis on DVDA and Sacd? Which one, both, oh this all is just gonna take more of my cash:angry:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan said:
all is just gonna take more of my cash
What do you work for anyway? Just be happy if after buying all your music with each paycheck that you have enough money left over for a loaf of white bread. White bread provides plenty of sustenance. ;)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads up, these DSD mastered Elvis CDs are now out on the market. At this time they are strictly redbook CDs and probably for the forseeable future since they are BMG titles and BMG has pledged increased support for DVD-A in the coming year. I guess the good news is that DSD masters have been made, so down the road a SACD could be easily done.

You can determine the new remasters by the yellow tape at the top to seal the package as well as a cardboard inch wide black end sleeve noting the remastering and advertising Elv1s. There is not a DSD logo on the back, but in very samll print it reads remastered using DSD technology. Prices were 14.99 each at Best Buy. I might pick one or two up down the road if these discs get to the BMG Music Club, but since they are compilations, many of the better songs from the discs are already found on Elv1s I will hold off for the time being.

An interesting comparison would be to compare the remastered tracks on Elv1s to their DSD counterparts found on some of the new remasters to determine if DSD converted to PCM provides any benefits over Hi-res PCM downconverted to CD quality PCM. Of course this is assuming they used the same masters for both discs, but it would still be interesting none the less.

J

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
...I like Elvis Hitler, Elvis Costello, and The Flying Elvises alot more than the Memphis Mummy anyway....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks